SS roll pans anyone looking for one?

dkkustoms

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain that MIDsSS is correct that the reason for the studs is to secure the ends from flexing when molded into the side cladding. As for making them bolt onto the bumper brackets or requiring custom brackets, that probably won't happen but I will look into. I think the cost of the brackets and second fixture would push the costs beyond what most people could afford or even want to spend.

Final cost will probably be around $600 shipped and insured.

I will say that $600 is not as cheap as I hoped but not as bad as I thought it might be. Please don't take this as me being critical of you. Just some food for thought and a couple things to consider from someone that does something similar already. If I remember correctly BSER pans were $450 originally, but he also did all the work himself, there was no mark up on materials, etc and it was all profit for him. I know you mentioned having a shop make these and so you have to pay for them. I also know from selling the Z06 conversion brackets that you will sell more if they are cheaper, but these roll pans are more vehicle specific than my brackets, so your market is much smaller. Also keep in mind that of that small market, how many people will be willing to pay a good chunk of change to do the roll pan vs other mods? I'm sure having the initial mold made has to cost a good chunk as well and make sure you factor that in for your price because molds don't last forever. Also, I'm sure shipping isn't cheap for these things either with their size and all plus insurance.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

Would the studs be the same studs wether pre-installed or not? If the fiberglass shop didn't install them, the body shop/installer would glass them in on the back side just the same, correct? I'm thinking of it as a stud with a large washer head to spread the load if they are like the ones BSER used. The main reason for my answer to the question as to install them or not is for ease of installation for the end user. Since trimming is involved and its all compound curves, every truck is a little different, wouldn't it be easier to work with the roll pan without the studs. That way the installer could get it trimmed and nice fitting. Then they could drill the holes from the underside of the bed and make a mark on the roll pan so everything would line up. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Studs would be the same if installed or shipped with the roll pan.

Only difference would be the exact location which would be determined by the installer.

This is what the studs will be. I'm fairly certain it's what BSER used.

http://www.weldmountsystem.com/images/products-st125-1024.jpg

Those are all very valid points. Kind of what I was thinking as well.

As soon as your mold is complete, I'm very very interested to see how the first one turns out. I have wanted a pan for a few years now and never wanted to pony up what the no longer made Bser pans were bringing. Soon as I see the product, I'll

Most likely be sending you some funds to fonally get one and shave some more weight off the truck.

shave some more weight off the truck.

This.

As well as looking great, I'm sure it'll save a bit of weight. Between ditching the bumper, gutting all the evap stuff, and changing the torsion set up to coil overs... I wouldn't be surprised to drop 150lbs or more.

Anxious to see how these turn out. Better than all the other roll pan/custom hood threads I hope. :jester:

Very nice. Glad to see someone finally took the initiative. SS roll pans have been a rare item for years. There's a pretty big market and I'm sure they'll be in high demand once they become available. :thumbs:

Great work. Pans look like they'll do the trick. May have to snag me one of these. :pimp: