Which flt trans to get?

My 65E is on its last leg with about 170k miles on it. It's starting to slip in basically every gear and I'm afraid every hard shift will be my last. Currently im setting the truck up to handle the horsepower I hope to achieve later down the road. My goals are between 500-600 horsepower and similar torque. Is the level 5 65E good enough to last a while with this power and still be drivable? It's my daily while I'm in college. I'm not interested in an 80e swap since I don't have time to do it myself nor the money for new driveshafts and cross member.

I and many others on here will tell you.. save up on an 80e swap. Although everyones driving styles differ the 60e is not enough. I and many others have invested thousands and thousands of dollars with the hope of making the 60 e hold up. and with time and abuse i will never trust one haha! over 6k invested in mine and she just decides when she wants. no info on the finish line trans but I have the patc raptor trans which they claim to be 800+ hp rated and the truck has been sitting for three months waiting for an 80 swap due to failure. I havent tore it down to know what but I wont be putting it back in thats for sure. 4L80 swap is the way to go.

Edited by Parriott (see edit history)

I have the FLT level 5 works great and I also planned ahead for the horsepower I plan to put out in the future so it's good to go now there very nice to deal with they were behind when I ordered mine so it took a couple months so keep that in mine there not ready to ship right off the shelf

Cost about 2500+500 shipping to me and to send the core back through Fedex also spent 800 for a yank 3200 converter shipped to FLT to dyno with my trans and was then shipped with the trans to all together cost $4000 total with fluid ran amsoil

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

I and many others on here will tell you.. save up on an 80e swap. Although everyones driving styles differ the 60e is not enough. I and many others have invested thousands and thousands of dollars with the hope of making the 60 e hold up. and with time and abuse i will never trust one haha! over 6k invested in mine and she just decides when she wants. no info on the finish line trans but I have the patc raptor trans which they claim to be 800+ hp rated and the truck has been sitting for three months waiting for an 80 swap due to failure. I havent tore it down to know what but I wont be putting it back in thats for sure. 4L80 swap is the way to go.

1st mistake was the raptor it's a huge POS. A properly built 60 or 65 tuned properly will last with no issues. For the record.

I and many others on here will tell you.. save up on an 80e swap.

I would.. And I would love to but I need the transmission before summer if not sooner. I'm not one to skimp out when it comes to my truck. I have an addiction to buying the best stuff, but keeping it stockish at the same time. If I had more income, more time, and more knowledge I would do it. But the 80 just isn't an option right now.

1st mistake was the raptor it's a huge POS. A properly built 60 or 65 tuned properly will last with no issues. For the record.

I've heard that about the raptor too many times too.

You guys are convincing! I swear I did my homework on the raptor and it seemed that patc had a good rep on here a few years back. But i wont buy again. I might look into the Flt level five now... any more info on this would be cool for all of us. just a sour taste in my mouth from the familliar 1-2 downshift to bouncing the rev limiter and not moving anywhere hahaha :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

We'll flt emailed me back after I asked the exact same thing and they recommend the level 6. Theres such a huge price difference between the 5 and 6 though! $1100 to be exact. I'm sure they know what they're talking about too. I guess if I'd be spending that much already what's another $600 for the level 7?

My goal is enough power to get me in to the 12's in the quarter. Most likely through a cam, supercharger, and complete exhaust including arh headers and a corsa catback with dual wireless cutouts. Obviously that's not a complete list but those are the major components. I'd guess somewhere are 5-600 horsepower maybe?

Don't cheap out on a trans. These trucks are not light and the trans takes a beating. I have the level 7 myself. You won't be disappointed.

Does it shift hard? I've heard that the harder they shift the longer they'll last because smooth shifts are actually just the trans slipping just a tad. Edited by Denaliguy (see edit history)

Kaze_v8, I think I can get 30k more out of mine to hit 200k but thatll be really pushing it. Evand, I've heard too many horror stories from performanuilt. Go look at some of the threads on here and you'll see what I'm talking about. No way will I be going through them.