Truck won't start

poopnewton

The truck took a $hit on me today and wouldn't start after getting a tank of gas. I think it's because the truck doesn't know what gear the trans is in. The indicator that shows what gear the trans is in on the dash is missing. Where it shows P R N D 3 2 1 the light under what gear the trans is in is missing. Not sure how that works on newer computer controlled vehicles. Would that be something on the column. The has a 4L80 in it also so I'm not sure if something maybe got jacked up from swap.

Well your PRND switch is located on the side of the transmission might want to check to make sure its plugged in. it will not start if its not.like you said. because the computer doesn;t know what gear its in and wont start. its located on the drivers side of the truck. its black and its located right where you cable bolts to the side of the transmission.

Its the black deal facing towards the front of the transmission. it should have 2 plugs on it.

IMG_6235.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Well your PRND switch is located on the side of the transmission might want to check to make sure its plugged in. it will not start if its not.like you said. because the computer doesn;t know what gear its in and wont start. its located on the drivers side of the truck. its black and its located right where you cable bolts to the side of the transmission.

Its the black deal facing towards the front of the transmission. it should have 2 plugs on it.

IMG_6235.jpg

I crawled under the truck and beat on it a few times. I'm pretty sure everything was plugged in but I wasn't really sure what it was so, like I said, I just beat it few times and jiggled all the linkage and wires around that I could see going to the trans. Maybe I'll double check it all again tomorrow. I got a broken right hand so if I can't fix it easily it's going back in the shop.

That's the plate behind the linkage I was talking about in your other post great pics can't get a better view of your linkage setup then that 1 of my friends had to replace that plate and also my brother I think it's hit or miss mines lasted for 170000 and still works some last some don't.

To be clear , it's not cranking... Correct ?If you are in a jam and just need to get it started . You can jump power to the starter wire very easily without crawling under the truck. Next to the alternator by that remote jumpstart post with the red cover there is a wire loom . The starter wire is in that loom . It's purple. Turn the key to the on position and then just jump power to that purple wire . Should crank and start for ya . Assuming the p/n switch is the culprit of course

Ok kind of feel like a dumbass. Just blew a fuse for PCM. I checked a few fuses and swapped a few relays around when it first wouldn't start but because those fuses are such a pain in the ass to pull if you don't a pair of needle nose or the little fuse remover tool, I only checked a few that were for the ignition, got pissed off when I ripped part of my nail off, then started looking at other stuff. When I didn't see the indicator for what gear the trans was in I just assumed the problem was because the truck didn't know what gear it was in. I guess the PCM controls everything.

Anyway based on one of the trouble codes that was one on my truck the shop said it looked like my X-link for my LS3 TB acted up and in return blew the fuse to my PCM. If it does it more I'll probably need another X-link or try to get mine fixed.

so sounds to me when you initially made your first post thinking it was something with the P/n switch, it was actually cranking / turning over but not firing up...... Correct? You still haven't Specified.

so sounds to me when you initially made your first post thinking it was something with the P/n switch, it was actually cranking / turning over but not firing up...... Correct? You still haven't Specified.

The truck took a $hit on me 3 times this week. The first 2 times it blew the PCM2 fuse and it wouldn't crank or do anything. When that fuse blows the indicator for what gear the trans is in stops working, which is why I thought it might have been that P/n switch. I took it to the shop and I also had a tac module trouble code on the truck. I guess when you have a X-link if you have a tac module problem it's usually from the X-link. The shop thought because I had that code on my truck that my X-link was bad and blowing fuses. So I contacted Torque Rush and told them what was going and they informed me that if there was a X-link problem then I would be blowing the ETC fuse. They also informed me that the PCM2 fuse controls the fuel pump, with a little help from Google I confirmed that to be true. I then told my shop that it's probably something with my fuel system not the X-link. At that time they asked me where I got my Walbro 450 from. I told them How I got a killer deal on one from eBay. They then told me how they have had to replace several of those cheap eBay Walbro 450s that people have bought and they believe that they are knock offs. So fast forward to yesterday and my truck it's 3rd $hit on me. This time it would crank and wanted to start but it just didn't seem like it was getting enough gas. I figure the fuel pump stopped working this time. All that leads me up to today, I'm getting a new Walbro 450 (not cheap one off eBay) and a racetronix hotwire kit. Hopefully this will fix it.