Grrr...'s 2003 SSS

grrr...

Purchased my SSS on December 1, 2014. This is my build thread.

Thanks for viewing...

Updated December 17, 2014

As purchased...

K&N FIPK intake

True dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40s

24" CABO wheels

Clarion head unit

Alpine Type-R door speakers

BADB51D1-13E1-4A9D-B771-D27C37C7F1E2_2_z

BADB51D1-13E1-4A9D-B771-D27C37C7F1E2_3_z

BADB51D1-13E1-4A9D-B771-D27C37C7F1E2_4_z

The first thing that had to go were those hideous wheels. I sourced some 2015 LTZ wheels and put them on before signing the paperwork for the truck! Also pictured, FM antenna deleted...

20141207_082750_zps6c40e848.jpg

20141207_082802_zps1a1f38f2.jpg

Next, I replaced the tired head unit with a new JVC and the rear door speakers with some Pioneer 3-ways...

Out with the old flip up...

BADB51D1-13E1-4A9D-B771-D27C37C7F1E2_14_

In with the new double din JVC...

<Add new JVC/Pioneer pictures later>

Next, the cheap headlight bulbs were replaced with Silverstar Ultra low/high along with the 'Lows on High diode mod' I also replaced the DRL bulbs with amber colored bulbs and did the DRL on Park mod... Mod can be found here: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/83673-different-light-options-4-high-6-high-etc/

20141217_080357_zps375f4944.jpg

Lastly, I painted the chrome portion of the grille back to black to retain the factory look. I also added a knock off camaro ss emblem. This will be a temporary hold until my local u-pull it has an 06-07 I can pillage for the new front end...

20141217_080424_zps98770d4a.jpg

20141227_202210_zpsa3c9b22e.jpg

MAJOR UPDATE: I removed the upside down SS emblems!! Don't have the $120+ to spend on SS emblems right now, so I got some die-cut decals until I have the extra cash...

20141227_202242_zpsee9813c1.jpg

Coming up...

4 taillight mod

LED bulb replacement

Custom hitch cover

Corvette Brakes

Texas Speed 228R Camshaft

Headers

Edited by grrr... (see edit history)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far so good! The 2015 wheels look sharp!

You should plan on buying a new grille to get ride of the chrome and get the proper honeycomb.

Agreed. Or just go ahead and do a 06 front end. You plan on changing the hood anyway. The grill is different on the 06 front end than the '03. So lower grills would need to be changed too.

Same as others said the stock SS Silverado grille was all blacked out and had the same honeycomb as the bumper probably had some front end damage at one time and that was easyer to find still looks like they did a good job repairing beside diehard SS guys nobody else would know that it's not an SS grille

To the original poster we are not picking on you we are just trying to help you have the best SS Silverado you can these are simple changes that stay true to the off the lot look your truck has been painted still not bad mine is due for paint it's just the nature of the beast with an 11 year old truck just swap these things and you'll be back in business.

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Good move on the wheels.

Thanks!

So far so good! The 2015 wheels look sharp!

You should plan on buying a new grille to get ride of the chrome and get the proper honeycomb.

Yea, I'm diggin the wheels. I just painted/cleared the grille to black. I definetly want to get the front end back to stock like you said. Working one step at the time.

Agreed. Or just go ahead and do a 06 front end. You plan on changing the hood anyway. The grill is different on the 06 front end than the '03. So lower grills would need to be changed too.

So if I were to go to an 06 front end, what all is necessary? I like the look of those, but it would be lower on my list.

Same as others said the stock SS Silverado grille was all blacked out and had the same honeycomb as the bumper probably had some front end damage at one time and that was easyer to find still looks like they did a good job repairing beside diehard SS guys nobody else would know that it's not an SS grille

Yea, it would seem the whole truck has been pieced back together. However, it runs really strong and shifts like butter. I changed all the fluids, filters, and pretty much every other normal wear part 2 days after I got it to ensure it was ready to be a reliable DD. And I couldn't agree more, first thing I noticed was the grille. I want to stay true to the SS form and not stray too far.

Great move in the wheels. First thing I dis to my truck was get rid of the gaudy chrome aftermarket wheels the PO put on it and replace them with the stock SS 20's

Thanks!

Flip those ss emblems please lol :troll: and looking good :thumbsup:

Holy Crap, I didn't even notice that. So if I'm right, the door emblems are on upside down? I'll get some better pics to verify.

you forgot to mention to swap the SS on the tailgate to the left side where they are at home

I thought that it went on the left, but I wasn't sure. I don't drive with a tailgate on unless I'm carrying something so only a small infraction on my part, but I will definetly get it moved to the proper location. Gotta respect the SS.

yes that one too lol

:thumbsup:

To the original poster we are not picking on you we are just trying to help you have the best SS Silverado you can these are simple changes that stay true to the off the lot look your truck has been painted still not bad mine is due for paint it's just the nature of the beast with an 11 year old truck just swap these things and you'll be back in business.

No offense taken. I'm glad to be part of a group that cares about it's vehicles. I want to get it back to that off the lot look as you mentioned. When I have time in the coming week, I will take/post some more detailed pics so you guys can help critique and help me get it back to "stock".

Once, again thank you all for your replies and advice! I look forward to bringing this SS back to it's former glory and maybe add a little more in the process.

Ok, just went out and looked. I'll be damned. The emblems sure are on upside down. Gotta get that squared away quickly. Don't wanna look like a tool. If I want the original replacement, am I stuck with dealer prices or where do you guys recommend? I would just remove them and get new double sided tape, but I think they won't be as flush as stock. Thoughts, objections, opinions?

The 06 front end on a ss is the hd style hood, 06 painted grill, and the 06 bumper grills. Everything should bolt up no problem. The grill you have now maybe look better now that out is painted, but the grill insert is still wrong.