SS Replacement Wheels

nleviss

I have a 2003 Black AWD SS. The chrome on my wheels is so corroded they are not keeping air. (Thanks Iowa winters.) I have grinded/brushed the rims down a couple times, but they are beyond repair. Can someone please offer up some of the best options? I would like to possibly go to 22s, but would be happy with a great 20" option.

Here is what I see so far, in no particular order or logic (some of these may be stupid ideas...please let me know):

1. Send rims away to be refinished - I have heard this is an option. I can't imagine it is all that cost effective. (and I would need wheels in the mean time). This has been suggested to me several times. Anyone have any experience or recommendation here?
  2. Buy replicas - I have a buddy who did this. He gave me the guy's handle here on the forum, but I am not allowed to search members? I must be too new?? He mentioned norcalss. Does anyone have any other good recommendations?
  3. Buy new...any style - I am struggling with this. I am a fan of rims as much as anyone, but I would really like to stay true to the original SS look. I am pretty much over chrome. I have seen some nice options online that are close, but again I don't want to stray too far. I am leaned towards brushed or super polished.
  4. Buy new...other Chevy style - I am going to contact some dealerships. There have been some killer custom options lately on the suburbans and tahoes. Might try to pick up a set from a dealer? I did that once before on an '08 Silverado that I had. Put the factory Tahoe wheels on that someone else had ditched for custom wheels when they bought theirs. This would stray from the original SS look, but would stay in the Chevy camp.
  5. Buy new...'08 Tahoe era - There is a place in town where I can get a new set of '08 era Tahoe wheels. I really like the looks of them, but I am afraid it would make the SS look too much like a Tahoe or a stand Silverado.

Please give me your thoughts and options. I have seen some nice looking wheels in some people's avatars. I might start trying to hit them up.

THANK YOU!

Thanks for the replies, guys. After all the reading around the forum, I decided to go with the 22" chrome SS reps with some Nitto 420s. However, I was driving all over town yesterday to find the best deal and lo and behold I find some 2014 LTZ takeoffs with rubber for $1500. I am calling on them today and should have them just alley by noon. Good call Thickcajun!

Thank you again for your responses. I realized after I posted this message there was a whole Rims and Rubber forum. Thank you for still replying and not chastising my newbie mistake. Looking forward to keeping up on this site.