TSP credibility

I have been pondering a new heads and I take setup lately. I will have all the cash I need in about two months to do it. I contacted TSP via email in regards to what they thought about my setup related to my goals. This is where when I started thinking about making this post.

So I explained my lq9 with tfs 220/224 cam and 3200 stall. My goal being 450-475rwhp after heads and intake. My prospective purchase included a set of stg 2.5 heads/. Or maybe the PRC 225cc as cast, then the lsxrt 102 with 102 TB and supporting MAF. I felt my goals were within reason with a good dyno tune. So my question was if they thought i could get my goals were attainable with my cam? I went on to ask if more compression would help lower the powerband if I did go with a slightly bigger cam?

The reply I recieved was that I could not reach my goals with the small cam. Then referenced that I may gain 40-45rwhp from as cast heads and 20-30rwhp from intake setup.

This would net 60-75rwhp. What does he think I'm at now?

So I emailed back saying I was considering the 228r or torquer v2 and asked if he thought one if those would get me closer?

He replied I would need a stroker motor to get the power I am looking for...

Now I thought a while before posting this and decided I should. I just like to expose things for other people I guess.... I know of 1 member on here that made 502rwhp with a large cam and some bada** heads. Another with 485rwhp on a 228r but a slightly larger motor. I'm sure there are more.

I need to know. Is this guy messing with me? Why isn't he trying to get me to want the parts I have selected?

Who did you talk to? You can message me if you don't want to post the name publicly. Only reason I ask is I have met a few of the guys who work for them and also both owners and they all seemed fairly knowledgeable to me. I know they just moved from West Texas down south into northern Austin so they may have brought on some new people who might not know their stuff. Obviously not everyone can know everything and there's waaaay more wrong information out there than correct information so I'd just chalk it up as the guy just either didn't know the platform very well OR he has been trained to act like any salesman and sell a more expensive product than what you're asking for or need.

I pretty much chalked it up to exactly that, he's either unfamiliar and/or just being a salesman. I wouldn't hesitate to buy parts from them still. I have read alot of threads they've posted on with excellent/valuable information.(mainly Jason).

As for trickflow being a better head... I have done ALOT of research, in fact I should post my spreadsheet on the flow charts of the 10 heads I was considering..any way, TEA ported TF heads flow the absolute most I have found, though I didn't research AI, but I did AFR.

Somehow TEA gets crazy exhaust flow from their heads, unless they test it differently than the rest somehow. My conclusion was that Trick flows are the superior head, but at a price. TEA wants $2670 for the tfs 225cc ls2 heads. This is a bit hefty to me, I know you get what you pay for though, shadow sniper went 502rwhp stock shortblock with those heads, and the other guy went 485 with stg 1 PRC's which are 1200$. so I figured I'd get the PRC 2.5 or the slightly better 225cc as cast heads. I may end up doing with the 228r on 110lsa now just for the few extra ponies it may get. I'm trying to go 11.5:1 so hopefully my powerband won't be all peaky. Which I tried to ask about, but he never answered.

Very true about the heads and you get what you pay for. Your also correct about the cost too, but if you want better performance it will come at a price. In all honesty I will probably be going with the PRC 6.0 2.5 head and cam package because it's a whole kit vs. the TEA Trick Flow is heads only.

Either of the heads your looking at will get the job done. Actually a little work to stock heads will get you close too. The cam is the limiting point to the combo. I would talk to Brian Tooley or Little John @ LJMS about a cam or even a whole combo that they offer. There are a ton of combos to get those numbers but getting it for the right situation is harder for these trucks.

I will definitely have to do some more research into my combo because you are exactly right. I want the right one for my use. That's why I tried contacting TSP, now I will try other options. I know Brian tooley does great stuff. I just really want a broad powerband and need to know if I go with something like a 228/232, will the high compression bring it back from being peaky? I want to shift at or below 6500 1-2.

Well just judging by other people's results I have found I was hoping to be close to 370-380rwhp, but I have yet to get it dyno tuned so I'd say its closer to the 350-360 range the way it sits. I just got a set of 42lb injectors I'm going to use when I do my heads and intake along with a new cam possibly(probably). Maybe I'm off on my thinking. I'd be completely happy if I even got 440.