Another Z06 brake thread.

cb2big4u

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the man has a pic of the old brackets next to the new ones I'd have to say he probably knows what he's talkeing about.

Worth a shot trying anyways.

I wouldn't be so sure to trust anyone's opinions. If you look at everyone else that has pictures of the same upgrade you find they all look like mine. The pads have tapered bottoms. Thsy can only fit one way. Theres no way the flat edge fits into the tapered clips. I made mine look exactly how Rudy did his.

I think I've came to the conclusion of just not being part of this community anymore. Not one person said it looked nice. Everyone just wants to find fault in it. Have fun in this crap shoot of a forum.

If the man has a pic of the old brackets next to the new ones I'd have to say he probably knows what he's talkeing about.

Worth a shot trying anyways.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about Alan after reading his reply :dunno:

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about Alan after reading his reply :dunno:

i think they look good just seems if someone has experience with both brackets then you might wanna listen at the end of the day there not my brakes so it's whatever.

when I do my zo6 swap I'll be keeping this info in the back of my head to help with my swap that's all no biggie

It looks good man, I was a bit salty cause I realized I installed mine backwards. Although I was certain I maintained what was indicated on the box.

To call this forum a crap shoot when you yourself came here for helpful info is asinine. I know I'm no expert, so when someone has a suggestion as constructive criticism one must take with a grain of salt.

The old brackets made 100% contact. Rudy's brackets don't. I had about 1/8" overhang. From what I read this was a sacrifice due to not having to modify the spindles by grinding/cutting.

Edited by A_FuriouSS (see edit history)

i think they look good just seems if someone has experience with both brackets then you might wanna listen at the end of the day there not my brakes so it's whatever.

when I do my zo6 swap I'll be keeping this info in the back of my head to help with my swap that's all no biggie

Idk what the pad being upside down has anything to do with old vs new brackets. They only fit one way so I hope you do keep it in the back of your head. I was a little reluctant at first to post. After being here since 2006, I have seen this forum get to a bickering match half the time nowadays. I can understand the criticism, figured after I posted pics there would be some comment possibly on the way it looked rather than myself doing it backwards.

Thanks guys. It's no biggie. [emoji6]

Hey guys. Thought I'd chime in a few things. TampaVmax, brakes look good. :thumbsup: You are right, the wheels make the 15" rotors look tiny.

For rotor direction, TampaVmax has it correct. If you go into the how-to thread I wrote, you can even see an arrow cast into the hat face on the rear rotors showing the direction of travel. I don't think the fronts have the arrow for some reason.

The pads in this pic are installed correctly.

JeffsSSS003.jpg

In the picture below, the pads on the top are upside down. The pads at the bottom are installed correctly. You want the the little tabs to be pointed away from axle centerline or out of the caliper. The tapered part of the pad is designed to sit into the spring clips.

DSCF1174.jpg

A_furiouSS is correct. There is supposed to be a certain amount of pad hanging off the rotor. Due to variances in spindle castings, everyone will be different. The brackets were designed to avoid having to grind your rotors or calipers.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

So you didn't have to do any modding to the bracket/rotor/caliper to get full pad contact? Yet 99.9% of other Z06 kits have like 1/4"+ of brake pad hanging off the rotor? There's that much of a "spindle" difference from factory? I'm confused.

Those pics are not mine. The above one is from a previous post and the second is from a Corvette forum. From measuring several factory spindles, taking the extremes, the variance was almost 1/4" if I remember correctly. On a stock configuration spindle/brake assembly, the pad doesn't sit at the very edge of the rotor, so a variance isn't a big deal. A happy medium was chosen for the brackets where most people shouldn't have to grind their calipers or machine the rotors hats.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

Those pics are not mine. The above one is from a previous post and the second is from a Corvette forum. From measuring several factory spindles, taking the extremes, the variance was almost 1/4" if I remember correctly. On a stock configuration spindle/brake assembly, the pad doesn't sit at the very edge of the rotor, so a variance isn't a big deal. A happy medium was chosen for the brackets where most people shouldn't have to grind their calipers or machine the rotors hats.

Either way is a sacrifice. The original brackets you had to grind the Caliper to fit over the 15" rotor or have 3/8" of pad not making contact on 14" rotor. Along came Ray (supersub) that made the new redesigned brackets that didn't require grinding the caliper but I also don't remember my brake pads not making full contact with the 15" rotor. I know Ruby made the next batch of brackets......did you make changes to Rays brackets? Maybe that's the difference??

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

There were a few odd brackets I hade made that the moved the caliper closer to axle centerline, but ultimately the lay out I went with s extremely close to Rays design. The main difference between Rays brackets and mine is that the first run of brackets was just radiusing some edges for clearance . The second run was making it a little sleeker and faster to machine.

There is definitely an improvement although only 75% of the rotor surface is being used. I did the mod this past spring and used Hawk single pads. Will use EBC pads when I need to replaced the brakes.

Before1_zps0d9aebba.jpgBefore3_zps1fd405c0.jpg

Edited by Bgreenard (see edit history)