Putting SS away for the winter

BOB47

So, for the first time I plan on not driving the SSS until the weather gets nice again. Any suggestions as to what to do? Pull the battery or trickle charger? Nitrogen in the tires? Jack stands? It's going to be in an unheated garage and I've never let it sit all winter. Need thoughts/ideas. Thanks.

This is what i do since i put mine away for winter.

Put it on jack stands so the tires dont get flat spots from losing air due to the weight of the truck, and having it sit all winter. Plus the cold weather will affect air pressure.

Trickle charge the battery or just start it once every two weeks to operating temp, to keep the battery from going dead.

If you dont have a cover for it, consider one. You dont have to have one, but it saves dust from being all over.

I would also get some moth balls from the dollar store, put a few in some panty hose, and place them around the truck. Cut the panty hose into several sections place the moth balls in and tie knots in the ends so you have several bags. I would place a few bags under the hood for mice control. If you are worried about it. Just remember to remove them if you start the truck.

The last thing I would do is get some stabile and putit in the gas tank. Let the truck run for a few minutes so it goes thru the fuel system. It will preserve the fuels octane, remove moisture from it sitting. It wont hurt the truck at all. I use it fro my lawn mowers at the start of winter and they start every time on the first pull. Make sure you have atleast a half tank of gas in it to prevent freezing.

I know its kind of a long list, but its well worth it.

i usually store mine but this winter it will not be stored due to my new job that leaves me no time for anything. but when i did i just put stabilizer in the gas and jacked it up. the battery lasted on its own for 4 months just fine every year.

Thanks for the responses. I know they're great in the snow. It has been driven year round since I bought it in 2003. I just don't want try and keep it clean all winter anymore. Getting old and lazy I guess.

Bob, I had mine in storage for a while and I added a big open bag of baking soda to keep the interior smelling decent. I still get the new fresh car compliment when someone new sits in the truck (I know it does not smell new, but I can thank the Baking Soda for helping it stay fresh and not a stale scent). I pulled everything out of the interior and cleaned it, then just left the mats to the side in a closet. Also loaded up on dryer sheets, mothballs, peanut butter and mouse traps to keep any critter away. My truck use to sit every winter but this year is a bit different.

I've stored mine in the garage for years during the winter and all I do is give it a good wash and waxing, fill up the gas tank and park it. I do cover it though, but use sheets, I don't have a car cover. I do not put anything in the fuel and don't hook up a battery charger/trickle charger and after 4 or 5 months of not touching it, it almost always fires up with no problem in the Spring. I think this year though I am going to hook up a trickle charger, I noticed recently the battery is getting weak.

And for the tires. I just check them ever so often and if they need air, I just put air in them, I don't use jack stands.

I fill tank and add appropriate amount of stabilizer. Wash to get off all bugs and road kill debris, I don't detail because I store indoor with no cover. Air up tires to max psi, park on rubber mats (floor is concrete). Hook up to battery minder. There is no need to hang tires unless bias ply, I have had no flat spots in 10 years of doing this.

In the spring I warm up, change oil, filter and detail. Don't forget to air down tires.

Edited by Zebra (see edit history)

I do the jack stands as a precautionary measure. Tires dont get flat spotted liker they used to, but still can from sitting. My camaro sat for 5 months and the tires got flat spots. Those were BFG. It doesnt hurt to let the suspension hang.

Stabile is always a good idea to remove moisture from temperature changes. You WILL get moisture that forms. Almost always starting shouldnt happen. Mine always starts with out a problem. I would be careful about filling the tires to max pressure, It isnt good for the steel belts in the tires to be expanded for the length of winters.