Chevelle or Silverado SS

Diamondss

Hey guys,

So I posted a while back about how I tracked down my Silverado SS and bought it back again. Since then I've moved into a new house and in another few weeks my shop will be finished in the backyard. Now I have a hard (but totally awesome) choice to make. I have a 1967 Chevelle and my Silverado SS as my summer vehilces. Both need a lot of work and I'm trying to decide which one I should focus on first.

Chevelle needs a lot. Some bodywork on the rear quarter, all new trim outside but I do have some if it already. I will be replacing the floor, seats, and the entire dash but I have most of the trim to finish the dash. The rear end still works but I can see the diff cover has some pretty serious dents from the inside out and it has a pretty bad vibration when you aren't accellerating that I think is coming from that rear so I'm sure that'll gernade any day now. The transmission isn't 100% but I wont replace until it stops working. This is my first car, it still drives and I still race it, it just looks pretty beat up at this point but I can still enjoy it.

The Silverado SS needs a lot too. The one side of the box is rotted off, the tailgate hinge is rotted out and will fall off. Needs a new front fender and a paint job. It needs new headlights, tail lights, rims/rubber, brakes, and new seats (front and back), carpet, a few random trim pieces, new brake/gas lines, and the engine light is on (with 235 000km) so I think the engine is due for a but of attention. I owned the truck from 69000-192000 so it hasn't had many miles since I sold it and I don't think the guy who had it did any work at all to it other then bad things that I need to fix. The SS is also going to get supercharged. There are way too many Hemi's, Raptors, and Denali's around me that would love to "kill an SS" so if she's coming back she's gonna be a fighter.

Both are going to cost between $15 000 - 20 000 to bring back, I'm trying to be realistic but also kinda hope I can score some kind of deals too.

I turn 30 this April and my wife has told me that for my birthday present I get to do one of the cars. That's bodyjob plus a bit and I've got a few grand sitting in a jar that I've been just kinda accumulating for whichever goes first (this plan has been in motion for over a year now).

Which would you do? The 1967 Chevelle Malibu (first car, wanted since I was 7, bought at 15, been with me ever since) or the 2003 Silverado SS (first truck, took my wife on our first date in, brought my daughter home in).

The Silverado I can find used parts for, not happening with the Chevelle...

That's up to you man.... The Silverado can be redone for much less than you think. Tailgate $50 at a yard, box 500 off Craigslist? Fender $50

At a yard, paint is up to you what you wanna spend. If I was gonna do the Chevelle it would be frame off no expense spared. Keep both and build th truck that way you have something to tow your chevee ls around with

That's a good point, there used to be a local yard around me (I live in southwestern Ontario) that was full of trucks but I called them last week and found out they are no longer in business. Hard to come across nice pieces in Canada, a lot of stuff is rusted out but I figure if I can source used body pieces, new seat covers, used rear bench with a seat cover if needed, used supercharger off of here when the time comes, but I think in body/engine/trim I'll be in for 7ish plus paint. Sound kinda close? I also need rims but I don't want something all beaten up or chewed.

Anyways, thought I would include some pics so you can see what I'm dealing with.

post-25442-0-37549100-1372425987_thumb.jpg

post-25442-0-26615400-1413763469_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Good from afar but far from good I'm afraid. The chevelle is driveable, heck it's raceable but the SS isn't going anywhere. My shop should be done in a few weeks, then both get moved in before the snow and I'll have a better idea of which direction to go. Either way I figure they're both complete. Now the chevelle was originally a Malibu in tuxedo black with a bench seat. I have buckets from a 98 chrysler 300m in now, back seats fit almost perfectly. I have my ss in onix black, should I paint the chevelle to match and go an ss clone on the car? It goes a lot faster than a stock 396ss and I figure as long as I'm not trying to sell it as a clone it doesn't matter. I think 2 black ss's in my shop would look awesome!

Thoughts on the clone?

I say keep them both since they both mean a lot to you! That would be what I would do at least, the Chevelle will be a much more complicated rebuild in comparison to replacing a bed side, fender and painting the SS at least from my experience restoring cars and fixing trucks. For fixing your truck I would just get the parts at the dealer I don't think they are to expensive.

Thanks Matt, that's kinda what I was thinking too. This will be my first "restore" project and I think the Chevelle is going to be a lot more difficult to complete. At least I can keep racing it while I get the SS back to good and then tear the Chevelle down and take my time to do it right. Appreciate the imput guys, I'll post some pictures once I get them in the shop and started. Cheers!

I would also say go with the Chevelle

You can dump $20K into an SS and it will only be worth $16-18K, you can dump $20K into a Chevelle and it could be worth $40K or more, and will continue going up and up

Plus it so much fun restoring classic muscle.

Seeing your truck has really given me a push in the truck direction. Were getting our driveway done starting Wednesday so I have to park the chevelle and probably sierra with the ss tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing the truck more than driving the chevelle to the warehouse. We need to go for a brew again shortly, maybe one of these days you'll have to swing out and check out the shop once it's done. Then you'll have a better idea of what the trucks gonna need. I've seen a few ss's for sale for around 4000 and I'm starting to think it might be cheaper to buy a parts truck instead of parts individually. Who knows, maybe put the body kit and driveline in a reg cab as my winter beater once I'm done