How much boost can a stock lq9 handle

idahoblkss was pushing high 20s but like said its all in the tuning

Agreed^ I think it was low to mid 20's but 20's regardless is high for any stock engine hence why these LQ9 iron blocks are better than any other 6.0L... Like mentioned the key is in the tunining and proper fuel like E85 which is cheap and high octane but burns roughly 30% more, but who cares, if your pushing 20psi or more your not concerned with fuel economy LOL... I personally wouldnt run above 20psi without race fuel or E85...

My personal Minnimum guidline would be-

0-12PSI Premium Fuel only 90-91Octane

12-18PSI Premium fuel 92-93Octane with Meth injection 50/50 or 100%alc

18+PSI Race fuel or E85 100+Octane

Which is also taken in consideration running stock heads at 10:1

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

I ran 13lbs on my stock LQ9 for awhile. I have seen guys run higher boost levels on stock 6.0. its that tune that is key.

Where are you at now for boost?

im not boosted yet I'm still gathering parts for the install.

vortech said the head unit would make 15lbs on a stock block and 12lbs on a 408 when I ordered it but never got into conversation about the pulleys.

just wanted to find out more info from you guys that have boosted the lq9 before I order a pulley that's to small cause vortech seems like there geared more towards mustangs now a days and there original kit only made 5-6 lbs and the head unit I ordered is a modified head unit and it didn't come with a pulley so when I call them to order a pulley I'd just like to know where my max lb of boost would be as to not over shoot and kill my motor.

Agreed^ I think it was low to mid 20's but 20's regardless is high for any stock engine hence why these LQ9 iron blocks are better than any other 6.0L... Like mentioned the key is in the tunining and proper fuel like E85 which is cheap and high octane but burns roughly 30% more, but who cares, if your pushing 20psi or more your not concerned with fuel economy LOL... I personally wouldnt run above 20psi without race fuel or E85...

My personal Minnimum guidline would be-

0-12PSI Premium Fuel only 90-91Octane

12-18PSI Premium fuel 92-93Octane with Meth injection 50/50 or 100%alc

18+PSI Race fuel or E85 100+Octane

Which is also taken in consideration running stock heads at 10:1

i always run 93 didn't plan on running meth yet maybe in the future just 93 octane with the stock block and for now stock heads

i always run 93 didn't plan on running meth yet maybe in the future just 93 octane with the stock block and for now stock heads

Yea at 15psi and 93 octane I think you'll be just fine... with meth you would be able to run a few more degrees of timing before knock but a more conservative 93 octane tune will do fine... Meth is good for a slightly cooler intake charge but the gains come from added octane thus more timing= more HP, especially for places that don't have 93 like Alaska and most of Minnesota (this guy right here) LOL... At 15PSI be sure to have a large enough fuel pump and injectors... 42#'rs may be surpassing the 80% threshold which is where you want to think about upgrading to 60#'s or 80#'s...

Yea at 15psi and 93 octane I think you'll be just fine... with meth you would be able to run a few more degrees of timing before knock but a more conservative 93 octane tune will do fine... Meth is good for a slightly cooler intake charge but the gains come from added octane thus more timing= more HP, especially for places that don't have 93 like Alaska and most of Minnesota (this guy right here) LOL... At 15PSI be sure to have a large enough fuel pump and injectors... 42#'rs may be surpassing the 80% threshold which is where you want to think about upgrading to 60#'s or 80#'s...

on the list of things to get still is Siemens 60lb motortron injectors and a jms boost a pump I don't have a deadline on when it's gotta get done but I'm hoping to be done in the next 2 months as its gonna get cold up here soon.

I should've had it done already but rebuilding my r1 engine and buying a new bike has set me back in funds from one and time and funds from the other.

My rule of thumb when dealing with high boost tuning on stock internals is to tune with 93 octane at a mild boost number (say 10psi) and then add C-16 and more boost. C-16 is a heavy fuel that resists detonation and does not change your STOICH value in the tune. If you switch to E85 or add methanol injection, you will have a shift in the fueling curve and the need to adjust along with all of the upper boost tuning you will need to do.

Tuning - Go slow with low timing. Once your fueling is spot on, build back the spark advance and feel to power come out! I have tuned 20psi on stock internals without issue. True this engine will not win any longevity awards but it will take some abuse for a little while anyway.

15lbs like you state should take 93 octane and mild timing without issue. If you go aggressive on the timing and have a hot air charge, you should consider methanol injection.

My rule of thumb when dealing with high boost tuning on stock internals is to tune with 93 octane at a mild boost number (say 10psi) and then add C-16 and more boost. C-16 is a heavy fuel that resists detonation and does not change your STOICH value in the tune. If you switch to E85 or add methanol injection, you will have a shift in the fueling curve and the need to adjust along with all of the upper boost tuning you will need to do.

Tuning - Go slow with low timing. Once your fueling is spot on, build back the spark advance and feel to power come out! I have tuned 20psi on stock internals without issue. True this engine will not win any longevity awards but it will take some abuse for a little while anyway.

15lbs like you state should take 93 octane and mild timing without issue. If you go aggressive on the timing and have a hot air charge, you should consider methanol injection.

sounds good that's what I was hoping

• 1 month later...

I ran 13psi for 30miles after I got it tunes. Only 70k miles. Think I got unlucky or a bad tune? Shattered number 7 piston...if I could do it over I would only run 8psi then it would still of ran while I build a 408...

Most likely unlucky with a weak point in the piston or an error in the tune.... Either way unlucky no matter how you put it