Picked up some ls3 heads

ric

So I was on the lookout for some heads I was undecided between the 243s and ls3 or l92 heads but then I made up my mind and went with the square port ones since they flow way better than the ones we have. Anyways good thing a buddy of mine was selling a pair he had so I had to get them. Now to look for a ls3 intake and let the tear down begin. btw they didn't come with rockers, anyone out there know if I can use the ones from the 317s or are they different? Any one running the same set up? I got a few questions

hyzyvesy.jpgu6yvajet.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Nice snag!

You can use the exhaust rockers, but the intake rockers are offset and will not work.

What kinds of questions do you have?

I have some 823's in the garage that have been worked pretty good. They are going on this winter fo sho!

I have an 2008 LY6 in my 05 silverado which comes with those heads used factory intake worked well see many people using these for boost but I think im stepping up to a aftermarket intake for more boost also intake rockers and pedestal mounts are different if you need to run the heads let me know I have extra rockers mounts and a ly6 intake

Cool I should be starting to work on it this winter too so hopefully by next year ill have it where I want it to be. And well I wanted to know what injectors would I need?, if I get the intake with the fuel rails will it be a direct fit or will I have to do some modification to my fuel lines. I plan on going boost on the future btw

well, I'll throw my two pennies in on this one. LS3/LY6/L92 heads are basically the same. a few slight differences. besides casting numbers...

-LS3 heads have sodium filled valves. it doesn't seem like a big difference until you think about it. the intake valves are rather big on these heads. big = heavy, when you're spinning passed 6000rpm, the sodium filled valves are much easier on the valve train; (that being said, I've spun my LY6 heads to 6700 for the last two years without a hick up, the LS3s should have no problem 7000+). the sodium also helps wick heat away. LS3 heads would be my choice if I could snag some.

DON'T get a LS3 intake. so much work required to make it fit. you'll have to run car accessories, in short its a total PITA.

Now I can tell you that I was in the same boat as you not long ago. Here's what I did. I went with the Holley Hi Ram... now there are many pros and cons and im sure there are folks I could battle with all day about it, but ill lay it out for you. you want to go boost, do you trust a polymer intake under high boost? now you might say I don't plan on going high boost, 8-10lb at most." We all know power is addictive, you'll eventually want to push more air into it. there are many other little things you'll need to change to make it work (fuel line adaption, LS3/9 bolt in style MAP sensor which you'll need anyway for boost and some other things im missing im sure).

this of course is just one option, but it is, what I feel, is the best way to give yourself a little growing room for boost. that being said, the L92 truck intake is a good unit for sure and people have been putting the boost to them as well. I went this route originally, but then ended up going to the Hi Ram for the high boost I plan next year. just trying to give you a few options so that you wont have to leapfrog between intakes (the whole reason for me writing this).

anyway, sorry for the rambling. as for your questions. your stock LQ9 fuel rails wont work, you'll need to hop to the rails that come with the L92/LY6 intake. your existing quick disconnect fuel line fitting will clip onto those fuel rails just fine. as for the LS3 fuel rails, im not sure as I have no experience with them.

for the injectors, go big. if you plan on running gas go for some deka #60s. I've run them in both the L92 and the Hi Ram. they fit perfect in the Hi Ram on the tall setting, but will need some shimming on the L92 intake. if you want to go with ethanol, go #80 or bigger (might need to go bigger depending on your boost level). my reason for suggesting the dekas is because the data for them is readily available. tuning with them is much easier because of this.

your stock LQ9 pigtails are Multec ll type connectors. but adapting to other types isn't really a big problem, so don't let that be a breaking point to disregard a good injector.

best of luck and have fun man!

Thanks man, you know I was actually undecided between the ls3 and the high ram intake. Im leaning more towards the high ram but reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it is because i know those intakes with long runners are good for low end torque, with that being said I plan on running a 30 3200 stall and I don't know if they'll still perform good on high rpms. With a stall like that im assuming ill blow past the torque curve where those intakes really make power, or will ill be alright and still make decent power all across the power band?. But yes those two are my options and you did clear out some stuff for me, I think ima go with the holley unless theres a reason not too? Just wanted to get some opinions on what intake I should run. Thanks again for the info man

canadianVRss I agree about the holley hi ram love that intake awesome not only does it perform well but looks so good ... as far as ls3 heads with hollow stems yeah the valves are light but have had a few come back with head of the valve snapped off and usually happens when coming into boost. I was lucky enough to titanium out of zr1 for mine cheap ..check corvette forums for them

Thanks man, you know I was actually undecided between the ls3 and the high ram intake. Im leaning more towards the high ram but reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it is because i know those intakes with long runners are good for low end torque, with that being said I plan on running a 30 3200 stall and I don't know if they'll still perform good on high rpms. With a stall like that im assuming ill blow past the torque curve where those intakes really make power, or will ill be alright and still make decent power all across the power band?. But yes those two are my options and you did clear out some stuff for me, I think ima go with the holley unless theres a reason not too? Just wanted to get some opinions on what intake I should run. Thanks again for the info man

The hi ram is actually fairly short compared to our stock intakes. Believe it or not the runners inside the stock intake are lengthened by bending and twisting inside of the intake, creating a longer runner. The hi ram does better in the higher RPMs, Holley claims 7000-8000. Or you can make it all happier with boost and not have to rev that high.

I totally forgot that the LS3 heads I think have a tighter combustion chamber, can't quite remember. Can anyone confirm? L92 and LY6 have 70cc chambers.

***EDIT*** same size combustion chamber for LS3/L92 heads.

canadianVRss I agree about the holley hi ram love that intake awesome not only does it perform well but looks so good ... as far as ls3 heads with hollow stems yeah the valves are light but have had a few come back with head of the valve snapped off and usually happens when coming into boost. I was lucky enough to titanium out of zr1 for mine cheap ..check corvette forums for them

Good to know. I wasn't aware that was a problem. Sounds like the titanium valves or solid L92 valves would be better for boost.

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

Get new ones. Should be stock length but its always wise to check.

If I get new ones, how do I know which ones to get. I should be able to use the same ones I have is that what youre saying.