Front Differential Rebuild Kit & Gears

Well my front diff finally shit the bed @ 140k. I've been reading up on all the different gear manufactures and have no idea what to go with. I need pretty much everything inside the differential, including a new ring & pinion. Any advice on what to go with would be great. Rebuild kits I'm finding are all around the 80-120 range and gears have been anywhere from 180-500ish. I'm not looking to go the super cheap route but I also don't have a ton to spend on it either. Thanks in advance fellas.

I haven't deiced on that yet. I have a friend who does a lot of 4x4 and off road work that said he would rebuild it for me for $200 with me supplying all of the parts. To me, that seems pretty reasonable, especially having the peace of mind knowing that he has rebuilt several of them and does it for a living.

When I was shopping around I originally went with Motive front and rear 4:56 and went about 100-200miles before I started noticing alot of excessive front end whine... Got it back to my Dad's shop and tore into it and found the front to be a factory defected and had excessive wear even with the proper spacing and alignment :.( With that it mind I took a chance and order some Richmonds even though I wanted the same gear company for the front and rear but the rear was perfectly quite so I figured why bother replacing the rear... Got the richmonds in the front which is a B%tch and set to proper tolerances and viola after initial break in period they work and sound great... IMO Go with Richmonds if you go different gears... They are a little more expensive and expect to pay $180-200 or $400 total for both sets just ring and pinnion.... I love my 4:56's but expect 1-3miles less per gallon...

AND BTW- $200 in labor sounds fantastic, as long as he knows what he is doing and sounds like he has done a few... Normally since its tough to get the tolerences just right and the front is hard to do I was quoted $600-$800 dollars at other shops ( My Dad's shop was booked in the early fall so I had to wait for spring to get my gears in lol)...

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

If I could afford it I would just go OEM all the way. I don't think that you could find "better", cheaper maybe, but not better, and it takes the guess work out of it.

Good luck. You going to rebuild it yourself?

Do you have a part number for OE front axle asby?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...