Park/Drive to reverse clunk.

Hi, as stated I have a horrid drive to reverse clunk noise (really any gear to reverse) that seems to be coming from my transfer case. It doesn't do it going into drive from reverse. I have replaced the chain and the old pump with the new design pump, but the problem still persists. I even re-greased my slip yokes with marine grease which seemed to help, but it's still pretty bad. When I get home I'll record a video of the clunk to give you guys a better idea. Anyone ever ran into this problem before? Transfer case operates completely fine and normal other than clunk. Thanks in advance guys!

I'm honestly starting to wonder if it's being cause by my front diff. having a good amount of play. Because that's the side of the transfer case the noise seems to be made from (where the front drive shaft connects) I'm wondering if the play of the front diff allows the shaft to have a bit more momentum than it's suppose to when it shifts into reverse causing the noise to be a bit louder than normal. Then again I could be talking crazy.

My suggestion is to get hold of a mechanics stethoscope http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-Stethoscope-Kit/dp/B0015DLMOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1409780396&sr=1-1&keywords=mechanics+stethoscope and try and determine exactly where the noise is coming from.

You can also use a long screwdriver or extension to chase down noises by putting one end against your skull bone behind your ear and the other against the case of the suspect part. You can also wrap your thumb over the end of you screwdriver and just mashing that into your ear. (Truck up on jack stands and idling in gear). You will be surprised how much you can hear with this method and the sound of a rumbling bearing is unmistakeable.

Good luck man.

Mine dose the same thing. I think it's some what normal after a few thousand miles of wear. Most trucks I've drove in 4wd do the same thing. Could be a matter of several things get a little play or wear in it. Causing it to have some slack.

I understand a clunk is normal, but it almost makes me cringe every time it does it. This clunk isn't the normal clunk. It sounds more harsh. Again, I'll video when I can, I was suppose to yesterday, but I got all tied up. Sorry about that.

Here's a video. Yes, truck is on jackstands. From park to reverse, it doesn't seem to do it, but from drive to reverse, I get it every time. Throughout the video I show you how much "play" my wheels, driveshaft and front diff have, then I crank up the truck for the noise I hear and am talking about.

Edit: May help to have a video link. Lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtU5QAqvjq0&feature=youtu.be

Edited by aerosys (see edit history)

How many miles on it? Mine has about the same amount of slack in the t-case. Pull the plug on front diff and check for chunks of metal or lager than normal shavings. I may be wrong but the way the coupler in the t-case is designed will cause it to have some normal slack. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think what you have is normal wear on the gears, bearings ect. I wouldn't really worry about it myself. Until you have whine or other harsh noises. Something else you might want to try is get all four wheels off the ground and put it in drive and go under the truck and check it out.

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

over 200,000, but it wasn't this bad when I got it. Guy I bought it from was an honest guy too. Even paid for a brand new CAT whenever one went out like a day after I got it. Could of left me high and dry, but didn't. Any who, today I plan to take out the front drive shaft and just sit there and shift to see if the noise is still there. If it isn't, I can more accurately pin point the problem. I still believe my front diff may just be having too much slack in it. If I have to rebuild it, then so be it. I am going to fix this problem. Been tracking it down for too long not to. Lol