Stall before cam?

Well I picked up a slightly used yank ss 3600. I was wondering what you guys think about installing it before my cam swap. I won't be doing my cam swap for a while. What mods need to be done to the transmission before install besides a big cooler? I'd like to get this out of the way first since I don't want to tackle two big jobs at once.

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

I have nearly the same stall and no cam. You don't need anything else, but a trans cooler will definitely help keep the temps down, servos and shift kit can also be done but not necessary.

I bought a new tru cool trans cooler at time of install of the converter, and the cooler is still sitting in the box in garage with the brackets. If you daily drive your truck I'm sure you'll want a tune as well. My truck isn't tuned for the trans but I don't drive it everyday, the highway drivability just sucks because of the tune. If your on a budget just get the converter done, and if you can squeeze some cash get the servo, and a shift kit if there's extra cash. That way it's done while you have the trans off. You can drive it easy and get a cooler later, and this can be installed without needing to mess with the trans.

Converter is one of the best mods for the money. nothing wrong with installing it before the cam. many people on here have a converter and no cam. like stated above though you will for sure want to get a tune done after the install, and I would also suggest the servos and shift kit too.

Well I picked up a slightly used yank ss 3600. I was wondering what you guys think about installing it before my cam swap. I won't be doing my cam swap for a while. What mods need to be done to the transmission before install besides a big cooler? I'd like to get this out of the way first since I don't want to tackle two big jobs at once.

I think you should be fine with the 3600 as long as you stay NA... Cause under boost my 3000 stalls at 3400 so your 3600 would probably be 4000+... Tranny I would do a shift kit and servos minnimum... But if your doing the converter you might as well build the tranny up a little... I would check out PATC... I would do a transgo reprogramming kit, PATC raptor servos (the ones one step above the vette ones), Beast reaction shell, billet imput output shafts, Alto red eagle clutch packs, possible a new reverse drum and new kevelar bands... All new fluid and some Lube Guard ATF protectant/friction modifier...

FYI- It will be a B*tch to get the tranny out... Those top bolts suck to get in and out...

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

It'll be fine.