Trailer hitch question?

2006IntimidatorSS

Okay so I am really big into ATV Motocross racing and I actually was thinking and looking to buy a nice enclosed v-nose trailer to haul my quads around when I want to go riding. I found a good small enclosed trailer on craigslist in Ramsey Minnesota. I am looking at getting a 7' x 17' V-Nose Enclosed trailer with a 5' V-Nose. It's a 7x12 plus a 5' V-Nose. But anyway it's a single axle and lightweight. I was looking at Reese trailer hitches for my truck, but I am not going to weld one onto my SS. I am just going to get one to bolt up to the frame and this way I can take it off when I won't be pulling my trailer. I looked at Reese trailer bitches and I also saw that Reese makes a weight distribution unit for pulling trailers. It serves as to keep the rear of your vehicle from squatting down so much when towing a trailer. I was thinking of getting a Reese trailer hitch, but not sure which one is best to get? I don't want to get a heavy one, just want a kind of lightweight and durable trailer hitch to use for pulling my enclosed trailer. Trailer is not very long and it doesn't weigh that much. What do you guys think? I can get the link to the ad so you can see pictures of the enclosed trailer I will be getting. I just want to get the right stuff so I am not having any problems later and so something doesn't end up breaking on my SS from it. Thoughts and advice please?

First you need to figure out what the weight of the trailer loaded is going to weigh. Why take a chance at getting a light weight hitch? Go with the heavy duty bolt up one like factory and be done. No need to remove it every time your not hauling, mine is basically flush with my rear bumper. You want a hitch rating above what your towing anyway. I have towed plenty of large boats etc with barely any rear drop. Its all in tongue weight and how its distributed to keep the trailer from walking on you....

Well I think my towing weight will be around 3000lbs. The trailer itself weighs less than 2000 lbs. I don't know the exact weight of the trailer but I will find out when I go to look at one. As for towing weight, I will have my one quad and all of my gear, tools and parts in the trailer and a generator, air compressor and lights and gas cans, fluids and spare tires for my truck and trailer. So altogether including the trailer weight, about 3000 lbs is what I estimate that I will be pulling.