Hydroboost conversion question

The one on the rear? Maybe from the bottom. It will be a bitch with 4wd/awd though. You can rent a puller for free from autozone.

Thanks for the input

Tried it. No way in hell am i getting it off.

Going to have to remove pump. Is it better to use the junkyard pump designed for hydroboost or do the "T" and use my pump?

NO! As Ive stated a few times.. GET A PUMP FROM GM.. from a DEALERSHIP and don't "T" it... you'll regret doing that later.

rent a pulley puller from autozone for like 20 bucks.. (you get the 20 back when you return it).. you can get the pulley off in a few minutes.. unless its really fubar'd on there.. in which case, you'll bend the hell out of the pulley getting it off, resulting in needing a new one. so in the end.. worse case.. you wind up with a new pump, a new pulley, all which lines up perfectly fine with everything else needed for the hydroboost swap.

Hearing a squeal only under acceleration. God please don't be the pump

NO! As Ive stated a few times.. GET A PUMP FROM GM.. from a DEALERSHIP and don't "T" it... you'll regret doing that later.

rent a pulley puller from autozone for like 20 bucks.. (you get the 20 back when you return it).. you can get the pulley off in a few minutes.. unless its really fubar'd on there.. in which case, you'll bend the hell out of the pulley getting it off, resulting in needing a new one. so in the end.. worse case.. you wind up with a new pump, a new pulley, all which lines up perfectly fine with everything else needed for the hydroboost swap.

Yeah I'm trying to do this on a low budget. Think the pump may be bad idk yet. Truck is rusting bad too :(

Are you bleeding the pump after install? And are you sure your hydro boost pump is connected correct?

Just jacked the front and turned lock to lock about 10 times. I got the pump to the hydro, hydro to steering, low pressure lines are from hydro to pump and box to pump.

Sounds like you got most of it done now but I didn't pull the pulley off I took the altjnator off and pulled the accessory bracket off to get to the back of the pump made it pretty easy.

Ah I wish I thought of that!

Just jacked the front and turned lock to lock about 10 times. I got the pump to the hydro, hydro to steering, low pressure lines are from hydro to pump and box to pump.

Personally from the 5 or 6 times I changed pumps before I broke down and bought a new AC Delco pump, I found the jacking the front up to turn the wheels to be a waste of time. In my opinion the hydrobooster holds more air than the steering anyway and the only way I was able to get rid of it was by pushing the brake pedal to the floor several times while it's running. I did turn the wheel from side to side but I did it on the ground with the engine running. I just started it, turn the wheel back and forth, and push the brake pedal to the floor a couple of times then turned it off. After you do that you'll notice the fluid looks milky from all the air bubbles, Wait for the air bubbles to rise out of the fluid and repeat the process over and over until your fluid stays clear after turning the wheel and hitting the brakes.

I'm not sure if it's the correct way but easier than jacking up the front and turning the wheels back and forth only to have a shit load of air in the system anyway.

BTW you'll know if there is air in the booster if your bakes kick back when you tap them quickly

Edited by poopnewton (see edit history)

Ok so i am an idiot....

Pump is fine, no leaks, stops AMAZING, everything bled, no noise

the noise was from the belt. apparently the pulley needs to be flush with the shaft

I put a straight edge to it and noticed how far it was off (about 1/8")

Got it right and now there is no noise.

things i have learned:

1) do what idahoeBLKss said if using the old pump and a T.

2) make sure the damn pulley is on right

3) make sure your used stuff is the right one for your truck ( my lines were too short off a 2500 HD)

4) read the directions for the puller/installer

I must say GM SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS FROM DAY 1

they put a large motor in a heavy ass truck, loaded with awesome features, and even made it have the strain of AWD but put the junkiest trans and brakes possible in it....