loose gascap

CJ_978

so for a while now i been getting a code that is P0455 comming up as loose gas cap. so i tightened it back up cleared the code and it came back again a little while later so i changed out the cap.. and cleared the code and it ended up comming back. so i ignored it and it shut off by itself... so i thought to myself weird... i threw the scanner on there to see if it was still there and it wasnt... so i was like ok it fixed itself... and this morning my dash display said tighten gascap... but no CE light. i dont understand or where to begin looking i have changed out the vent valve solenoid and purge valve as well... any and all help or segustions would help!

I had the exact same problem, lucky one day they where parting out an ss and I ended up taking the gas cap off of it too installed it and fixed the problem. Its gonna be the gas cap more than anything just make sure its an oem from a similar silverado, new ones are not made the same, might have been defective

Since you have replaced the purge valve, vent solenoid valve, and gas cap, it's time for a qualified shop to do a smoke test to find the true source of the leak. P0455 is a mass EVAP leak, don't throw any more parts at it....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

• 2 years later...