FML a losers guide to hydroboost

Had similar issue with a standard steering pump that ended up costing me a pulley. Bought a re-man pump from either O-Reilly's or Advance Auto's along with rental of the puller. Everything came off fine, got replacement installed and its whining right away, played around with it making sure all the air was purged etc but the whining continued. So I found a decent ebay deal on a OEM one. When that arrived I re-rented the puller and shortly into pulling the pulley off the lip that the puller pulls on failed (when I installed it I noted that it seamed to go on a lot harder then the original came off). So now I have nothing for the correct puller to grab on, so I get out the 3-jaw and bend the pulley enough to access the bolts. Back to the store to get a replacement pulley, but the OEM replacement has been working perfect without any whine.

Just a little update. I ended up noticing a little whine from the 90K mile pump I put back on my truck. So I went on Amazon and bought a new ACDelco hyroboost style pump and a new pulley. I just got the new pulley because I didn't trust that the one I had wouldn't work it's self off over time after being on and off 5 different pumps. So anyway I think I'm finally done messing with this thing, I have absolutely no complaints about the new one.

BTW Amazon was the cheapest I found it, about $100.00 plus tax with free shipping. That's cheaper than the shit rebuilt ones if you don't have a core.

Just a little update. I ended up noticing a little whine from the 90K mile pump I put back on my truck. So I went on Amazon and bought a new ACDelco hyroboost style pump and a new pulley. I just got the new pulley because I didn't trust that the one I had wouldn't work it's self off over time after being on and off 5 different pumps. So anyway I think I'm finally done messing with this thing, I have absolutely no complaints about the new one.

BTW Amazon was the cheapest I found it, about $100.00 plus tax with free shipping. That's cheaper than the shit rebuilt ones if you don't have a core.

Sounds like the Amazon one is cheaper than the parts store crap, in the long run, even if you have a core. :jester: Thanks for the tip about Amazon carrying the pumps.