Silverado ss Right Hand Drive Conversion

NZchevyman

You have to change the steering box over to the right hand side. I've taken the steering box out the other day and sent it away to be changed so it can be mounted on the right hand side. So doing that. I have to also move the engine over to the left about 2 or 3 inches to allow to steering column to fit past the motor.

Sounding more complicated all the time. Do you just swap sides with the Pitman and idler arms and use the same center link, or are they all different going to the right?

Fab up new mounts for the motor?

Modify the original engine mounts add 2 inch to right hand side and remove 2 inches out of left side. Yes swap sides with the idler arm just have the steering box reversed and put into a new shell that then bolts onto new mounts on the right hand side. I got the heater out today. And that is being sent away to be modify to fit on the left hand side of the truck. Will be doing more tomorrow. Am wanting to get rest of wiring loom out so I can start on extending the wiring loom to where the cables will need to be.

Got rest of wiring and pedal box out today lifted carpet back as well so it does'nt get damaged when were welding. after i got all the old stuff out i sat the new RHD dash in just to make sure it was fitting good, and it was a perfect fit, just need to trim the dash down around the cut out holes to insert all the dash pieces into it, alot of work to come now that everything is out of the way :cool: will also start changing wiring loom around to suit right hand drive this week, will ahve to work out how everything goes woth the door controls of the windows to the passenger seat airbag sensor in the passenger seat all little things i need to just check out

post-26375-0-24001100-1403432619_thumb.jpg

post-26375-0-39619700-1403432635_thumb.jpg

Edited by NZchevyman (see edit history)

Na it's not the first for right hand drive. I mate of mine brought an SS in back in 2004 and that's kind of what made me want to bring one in. They do look awesome over here as there are very few silverados for that matter lead alone SS ones. I've ibly ever seen another one forsale here a while back and it sold for $46000 NZD which is awesome compared to what there worth to buy in America. But if I was to pay someone to do this conversion it would cost me from about 25k-30k atleast. So it's a big saving doing it myself. I just have to put huge hours into getting it going. But going down every night and seeing it sitting there motivates me to get it finished. So I can get it legal to drive over here. On Saturday I got the

heater out and sent away so that will be bak hopefuly next week when it has been modified to fit on the left side of the truck rather than the right. And to answer other question center console has to be changed so it angles towards the driver. All will be shown as time goes on. The center console in the truck in the pictures is my left hand drive one that came out. I just put it in there to hold the dash in place. Update for tonight is. I did nothing really as it's so cold here now as were in winter over here now. Might start on wiring change over since I can do it inside where it's warmer. Will post more when I hit it again soon

Hi all, havent really done much this week and been flat out with my job and havent had much spare time to work on truck i have made a good start on the wiring as was up till 2am yesterday joining and lengthening the cables that need to be moved i have spent hours doing this, but nearly there, just got the door wiring looms to change around now, i have run into a few problems with the reinforcing bar that runs behinf the dash and im trying to find one i can buy around here which i should be able to, im waiting on replies from people then i can move ahead again, will update you again once ive done something else new, i am wanting to change everything out of each front seats around so the sensor mat is on the left seat and the memory seat is on the right seat, but will look into that more this week.

post-26375-0-40463600-1404035706_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought i better put an update up as its been a while, haven't done much over the last while apart from i got the dash cut out properly and ive converted the center console with the new parts needed to make it point the right way now, Also extended more wiring this time the mirrors, also got both front seats all the memory part of it changed around and sensor mat changed that was a big job, still working on the door wiring looms as there is a bit to it as need to make sure that when buttons are pushed they do what they did before but on the other side, heater should be back in the next few days and then i can start mounting stuff properly inside the truck, this weekend i hope to pull all the front off the truck, so i can get access to the engine mounts and steering box better as well as moving the pipes for the heater, ac and the brake lines, will update more after ive done more

post-26375-0-59103700-1405662344_thumb.jpg