Rear axel backlash wine starting

Got a 03 AWD. I'm an ASE master. I just passed 100,000 the rears starting that too much backlash wine. Thought of resetting the pinion depth. Anybody had any luck with that? I could probably mask the problem with a different lube. But for reliabilty I'd rather put in another gear set. Just wonder how much the wear pattern would increase resetting it. Then probably having to end up going to a different lube anyway. Save some money, and still might last. Anybody had any luck quieting down a rear with a good after market lube of the same weight? Thanks.

I have seen many add a thicker fluid, to try and quiet noise down when things start to wear. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt depending on how much lash there is between the rear. My guess would be by re setting the pinion will only increase friction, and possibly load on it and make it worse over time.

With my experience with working with gears.... I would just replace them cause I really don't think there is any real fix to them at that point once they have loosened up that far to where they start whinning from use. Cause you start moving the pinion your wear pattern is going to move which ever way you move it and they you set your ring gear again. I dealt with that same vary issue on my car and when I got the ring gear set to the .006-.010 and I was right at .008 in 200 miles the gears went out. And was all highway miles on cruise control so they weren't getting beat on.

When you get your gears that (example) 2.9xx number that is stamped on the pinion is the depth the pinion is suppose to be set at from the center of the axles. A lot of people told me just use the shim that cam out of the previous gear set and that most likely will be close for some gears but found out on my new set it was way off. And its just not worth it that you could get stranded not so close to home either and do more damage. I got lucky and my posi wasn't effected.

I've been working with autos since my teens and went through auto mechanics school also and no one ever told me what that number stamped on there was for until last year when I went to change my gears.....would have made short work of things vs taking diff apart if pattern wasn't correct. So hopefully this info helps someone else out that didn't know that also.

i had the rear pinion whine on my 03 with only 190 mi on it new. after re shimming it x2 GM decided to replace the whole assembly with a new one..still whined. long story short, GM engineers who came to the dealer found it was the front diff that was causing the whine. bad carrier bearings from a supplier.(known issue on 03 early 04's what happened to mine was the frequency being made was traveling from the front diff, thru the front drive shaft, t-case, rear shaft to the rear.. they removed the front shaft, whine gone.. i would drain your front diff fluid and check for metal..

good luck

Thanks for the advice guys. I thought it sounded like the rear. But, I always wondered if it could be the front. Because of the AWD. I'm going to hand feel the slop in the two diffs. Then remove the front shaft and drive it. After those results, inspect the fluids for metal flakes. If the fluid looks OK I'll check the backlash. If OK, replace the fluid with some quality product. And see what that does. The noise is just starting to be detectable. I've owned much louder ones in the past. I'll probably end up doing gears, bearings, and seals on wich ever it is. Got to take care of my baby.