Carbon Fiber Hood for my SSS

garrell.770

Do any of you run a carbon fiber hood and if so what is your experience with them. After research it looks like the hood sold by Octain Motorsports is the one to use and they have hoods for the 03-05 SS Silverado trucks on sale right now for $594.00 and I found the same hood from other suppliers for $1,300.00. My problem is I would have to have it on by middle of week after next, they are in stock and would ship tomorrow if I order in the morning. It would ship from Ca. to Georgia so I would need assurance from them that it would be here by weeks end. If you run with one do you use the hood pins?

Thanks

Heres my 0.02 cents. Carbon Fiber is strong and durable as long as you take care of it. If you plan to paint it, wait a few months as the resin from the hood has to off gas and fully dry and harden, Just like any other Carbon Fiber hood or fiberglass hood. Do not wax it for those few months or you will trap gas thats trying to escape during the final cure time, if you do wax it, you will trap that gas, and can result in bubbling, cracking.

It should fit pretty well, but it might not be perfect, so expect that. Once it fully dries and cures, you will see its real fitment. After it is has cured, wax it regularly to keep its sheen. You do not need to use hood pins, but could if you wanted a different look. I would have a body shop do this for you, if you make a hole in the wrong spot the hood is done. You also have to be careful on what you use to make those holes, you dont want to un ravel any of the weave.

I hope I don't have to use the pins but when I call in the morning I am going to ask if the latch that comes with the hood is good for 140 MPH. I plan on not painting because I love the carbon fiber look and the finish on the VIS Carbon fiber is supposed to be superior to other mfgrs. The truck will always be garaged and I understand that you just wax it like you would the balance of the truck. If I have to use hood pins I will use the ones you can buy from VIS and I definitely would not try drilling into the hood myself.

I hope I don't have to use the pins but when I call in the morning I am going to ask if the latch that comes with the hood is good for 140 MPH. I plan on not painting because I love the carbon fiber look and the finish on the VIS Carbon fiber is supposed to be superior to other mfgrs. The truck will always be garaged and I understand that you just wax it like you would the balance of the truck. If I have to use hood pins I will use the ones you can buy from VIS and I definitely would not try drilling into the hood myself.

The hood wont come with a hood latch, you have to re use your factory one. There is no way to tell if a hood latch is good for a certain MPH. It all depends on how the hood is fitted and the air that is allowed to get underneath it that might want to lift it up. My suggestion would be to not only use your factory hood latch, but also use hood pins that are adjusted low so the hood doesnt have any play going up or down. The only Issue I can see is one I have to deal with, with my race car. Thats is the hoods weight (12 LBS). I use my factory hood latch, and hood pins together like I stated earlier. My hood wont move, but that doesnt mean it wont flex at higher speeds when air force is pushing down on it. My car traps at 142 MPH in the 1/4 mile and you can tell by seeing the paint crack where the hood flexed. Not only from down force on it but also from twisting from launching. Again, my hood is fiberglass, Carbon Fiber is alot stronger so you may not have the flex issues I do, plus these trucks have a full frame as my Camaro does not.