another lq9 cam options

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I enjoy most on this site are the parrot's. One person uses a cam and then posts that he likes it and 100 others will pick that same cam based on "research". At one time the 212/218 Comp Cam was the popular cam, then it was the 222/224 cam, GT2-3 for the blower guys, 228r later on, etc, etc, etc. The other funny thing with the same subject is how many give technical answers to posts and yet are only repeating information that they read from other posts. I wouldn't recommend a 228r for this truck for example since he doesn't want to change the converter or at least doesn't want alot of stall. I would recommend a cam no bigger than something like the 222/224 from Comp or the Trick Flow 220/224. Both of those really should have a converter upgrade, but at that size you could do a VJCX converter which can be had for a couple hundred dollars and will drive alot like stock yet. Comp also has a cam on the LSR grind that will work which is a 219/227 and will make more torque than both of the others. I would still do the converter swap though to really enjoy the cam swap more. The lift on the 222/224 is in the .56 range and can be ran with LS6 springs. They have a decently long life and should be changed about once every 100k or so, but will keep spring pressure down enough to help valve seat life as well as cam bearings. The Trick Flow cam is in the .58 lift range and should be ran with either 918 style spring or dual spring. The 918 springs have had a rough life with a poor reputation of breaking which is why the dual springs have come to be so popular. The beehive style spring makes more power by design and has less pressure put on the cam bearings making them a more popular choice for something more on the daily driver side of things. The LSR grind is well over .600 lift and really should be ran with a dual spring for longer life of the spring and protection of piston to valve contact in case of spring breakage. The dual springs will beat up the valvetrain a bit more and shorten cam bearing life a bit, but for big lift they are the way to go. As for the topic of headers, use what you have. Shorty headers do not make more torque than long tube headers in no way shape or form. Shorty headers designed properly will gain over manifolds, but will never make more hp or torque than a long tube header. If the heads are replaced on this LQ9 I would recommend going with a 243 casting to get the compression up. The compression raise will help the torque, hp, fuel milage, and smoothness of the idle. You will also need to change the injectors. The stock injectors from your truck will not be big enough.

Great information here. Don't mean to thread jack but I am also in a similar situation where I'd like to install a cam but maintain most of my stock components. I Apologize if I seem ignorant but I'm mainly looking for the lope and good sound. I would prefer to keep my stock converter and pair the new cam with long tubes and a good tune. I was heading towards the 228R but based on my stock converter, it appears the Comp 222/224 is a good recommendation. My truck is a 2003, daily driven 6.0 with 90K miles. Any additional insight to doing a budgeted cam swap would be appreciated.