Official 2006 production numbers and summary of 2003-2007

06-SSS

Hi All,

New member here and proud owner of my '06 for about a year now. Late to the party, I know, but better late than never right? Like many here I wanted to know how rare my new favorite toy was so I spent a couple hours going through the threads here and checking out other sources.

Here's my kind of long winded story of how this all came to be. Feel free to skip to the numbers below if you don't like stories.

From the excellent work of others here the numbers for 2003 and 2004 are well established but no one really knows what's going on with 2005-2007 "officially." So I gave up for a couple months, but I just couldn't let it go so I called up GM headquarters to see what I could find or who I could talk to. Not surprisingly the guys I talked to were confused and not helpful, and claimed that official records for these trucks don't exist. So I called GM in Canada since they were all produced in Ontario anyway. These guys were more helpful (that's Canada for ya eh!) and passed me on to GM Vintage Vehicle Services. This place handles requests for build and production information for all GM vehicles built and sold in either the US or Canada, essentially archives. The guy I talked to was skeptical that he could find production numbers but if I ordered all the build records for my truck (which I was doing anyway) then any production number information would be in there too if it existed. So I got the documents and a GM official record of how many 2006 Silverado SSs were built: 1169 (non Intimidator). Closure!

Here's a table to summarize production numbers for 2003-2007. I take no credit for these numbers except 2006. Maybe someone with a 2005 and a 2007 could talk to Vintage Vehicle Services too and complete the table officially :)

2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Total

Total 10022 5098 2627 2102 189 20038

Intimidator 0 0 0 933 0 933

AWD 10022 5098 20766** 0 0 17196

RWD 0 0 551** 1169 189** 1909

Black 6117 ? ? 404* 189**

Red 2802 ? ? 270* 0

Blue 1103 ? ? 0 0

Silver 0 0 ? 495** 0

*Assuming color ratio similar to 2003 (from 674 vehicles)

**Estimate based on VIN researching

Interestingly the 2006 number I got is relatively close to an estimate that has been posted before, which gives me hope that the other numbers estimated by VIN researching are also pretty accurate. This method also helped me to estimate the color distribution for 2006 assuming there were 495 silver in 2006 (http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/topic/79901-anyone-know-06-sss-production-numbers/?p=886685). But keep in mind, everything except 2003, 2004, and 2006 are still estimates! The 2005 and 2007 numbers were a bit hazy to me based on the VIN results posted but that's expected.

http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/topic/79934-production-s-for-sss/?p=887049

http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/topic/79934-production-s-for-sss/?p=887132

I scanned the page of the documents which gives the production number. I highly recommend people to check out this service, not just for the number, but for the hugely detailed build information you get too. The package was 50 pages and covered everything down to what metal the exhaust manifold was made of!

Here's some interesting information that was also provided to me. For those looking at VINs, any SS sold in Canada was given build codes B4U and SSX. Any SSs sold in
the US were 1SS. 1SJ and 1SK were special order codes (had to be requested). If you look at the document, you'll see that the production numbers include 1SS and B4U/SSX trucks so this number should cover both US and Canadian SSs (especially since they were all built at the same plant). Looks like only 33 were sold in Canada originally in 2006. And oh you lucky dogs who have a '07!

post-26030-0-69911300-1390340688_thumb.jpg

Great info :cheers:

Thanks for all your hard work and sharing your information. Kinda neat to see that I have 1 of 1103 ever built. Almost as rare as the 933 intimidators. :thumbs:

No worries, happy to help out! Nice, congrats!

Thanks for all your hard work and sharing your information. Kinda neat to see that I have 1 of 1103 ever built. Almost as rare as the 933 intimidators. :thumbs:

No worries, happy to help out! Nice, congrats!

They all are really rare when you think about the 8-9Billion people in the world and Chevrolet only produced just over 20K total... Now subtract the totaled ones and the onse that are driven to the ground with 200+ thousand miles etc... I bet there is maybe 1-2K left with less than 75K miles world wide so yea in 10 more years this truck will be nearly impossible to find below 100k and orginal not a clone...

They all are really rare when you think about the 8-9Billion people in the world and Chevrolet only produced just over 20K total... Now subtract the totaled ones and the onse that are driven to the ground with 200+ thousand miles etc... I bet there is maybe 1-2K left with less than 75K miles world wide so yea in 10 more years this truck will be nearly impossible to find below 100k and orginal not a clone...

I'm at 74,689 today so I'm still relatively rare then. In a few weeks that won't be the case though :(

Agreed, an SS alone is a pretty rare creature and will definitely only become more so as time goes on. Also think of how many Silverados there are, hundreds of thousands :wink:

I'm at 74,689 today so I'm still relatively rare then. In a few weeks that won't be the case though :(

Hey don't be down, increasing the miles is always a kinda a postive since you get to drive a sweet truck! Still under 60K here, and I doubt I can afford the fuel to drive it over 75K anytime soon haha! But yeah when I was looking for one to buy a lot of them were over 100K already...

Lol. I drive the hell out of mine. A wise man once said, "Not driving your SS to keep miles off of it, is like not having sex with your girlfriend to make her more appealing to her next boyfriend". LOL. Im keeping mine anyway, since ill never get the amount of money back that I've got into it. Lol. It books for $18,500, and I've got about $40K or so into it. Lol. It'll be great to keep when there are so few left. I'll be that 40 year old guy with a 850hp SSS at the car shows. :thumbs:

Anyway, just so this thread doesn't turn into a hundred people staying how much mileage they have on their truck, I'm gonna stop here. Lol. Thanks again for the info. I know there have been quite a few threads requesting this information in the past.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Lol. I drive the hell out of mine. A wise man once said, "Not driving your SS to keep miles off of it, is like not having sex with your girlfriend to make her more appealing to her next boyfriend". LOL. Im keeping mine anyway, since ill never get the amount of money back that I've got into it. Lol. It books for $18,500, and I've got about $40K or so into it. Lol. It'll be great to keep when there are so few left. I'll be that 40 year old guy with a 850hp SSS at the car shows. :thumbs:

Anyway, just so this thread doesn't turn into a hundred people staying how much mileage they have on their truck, I'm gonna stop here. Lol. Thanks again for the info. I know there have been quite a few threads requesting this information in the past.

MY SSS is a NUN so it can't have another boyfriend LOL... So this virgin is mine forever cause I aint ever selling her... And I as well will be that old man with the old 850-1000hp SSS at car shows... :jester:

damn, great work on the numbers! nice to have it all in one place now

edit. i have an 05..so if i call Vintage Vehicle Service, they can give me an official report of 05 SS numbers, as they did with your 06?

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

So Only 20,038 SS's were ever made?

That seems a little low, but IDK it could be right.

Between 2003 and 2006 Chevrolet Produced a total of 2,707,121 Silverados (According to Wikipedia). If that is Accurate that means that only 0.7% of all the Silverado sold between 2003-2006 were SS's ( I lumped the 2007's into the 2006). Thats pretty rare.