exhaust questions

kpcustoms

I just bought a 2006 ss a few months ago I love every bit of it I am slowly adding on things. I put a k&n cold air intake in it and of corse a remote start and new headunit. i am about to do the big 3 upgrade to the grounds, and put the new sound system in it. my next project after that is the exhaust. I know I need to because simply its just not loud enough. I live in california and i know that kind of screws me with alot of things. I was just going to got with the full catback system. so whats louder corsa or magnaflow. do they have a different horsepower gain and with the corsa being a 3.0inch and the magnaflow being a 2.5inch does that make a difference. I have been trying to look it all up but I keep getting different answers and thought i should just ask someone. Any thoughts between the two? Also would appreciate any other suggestions of what to do.

Guys with the corsa seem to love the system and haven't heard any complaints.

I have magna flow mufflers and to some its to loud that could be a problem with law enforcement in Cali seems strict out there.

in mass nobody really cares as long as the right pedal isn't to the floor

I just bought a 2006 ss a few months ago I love every bit of it I am slowly adding on things. I put a k&n cold air intake in it and of corse a remote start and new headunit. i am about to do the big 3 upgrade to the grounds, and put the new sound system in it. my next project after that is the exhaust. I know I need to because simply its just not loud enough. I live in california and i know that kind of screws me with alot of things. I was just going to got with the full catback system. so whats louder corsa or magnaflow. do they have a different horsepower gain and with the corsa being a 3.0inch and the magnaflow being a 2.5inch does that make a difference. I have been trying to look it all up but I keep getting different answers and thought i should just ask someone. Any thoughts between the two? Also would appreciate any other suggestions of what to do.

The exhaust topic is somewhat biased as people like different sounds. What someone else might like, you may not. You can get a magnaflow that is a 3 inch. To be honest, the factory exhaust size is more than enough until you start making good HP numbers with say a larger cubic motor and or having a power adder. I just went with a muffler myself due to the cost of a catback, and me wanting to do something different and having one made myself.

Power gains with a catback all depend on what other mods you have. You wont see the gains that are advertised by just buying there product. You have to have other components to work with the exhaust like a cold air kit (which you have) headers etc.

Sound from any exhaust system will be different from one to the next. say truck 1 has magnaflow but doesnt have headers, truck 2 has magnaflow and headers, Truck 1 wont sound as loud. Catalytic converters also play a role in noise and sound levels.

If you dont like rasp stick with a catalytic converter. The best and honest advice I can give you before you buy is to go on you tube and listen to different mufflers with and without cats, or headers and see what you like.

The exhaust topic is somewhat biased as people like different sounds. What someone else might like, you may not. You can get a magnaflow that is a 3 inch. To be honest, the factory exhaust size is more than enough until you start making good HP numbers with say a larger cubic motor and or having a power adder. I just went with a muffler myself due to the cost of a catback, and me wanting to do something different and having one made myself.

Power gains with a catback all depend on what other mods you have. You wont see the gains that are advertised by just buying there product. You have to have other components to work with the exhaust like a cold air kit (which you have) headers etc.

Sound from any exhaust system will be different from one to the next. say truck 1 has magnaflow but doesnt have headers, truck 2 has magnaflow and headers, Truck 1 wont sound as loud. Catalytic converters also play a role in noise and sound levels.

If you dont like rasp stick with a catalytic converter. The best and honest advice I can give you before you buy is to go on you tube and listen to different mufflers with and without cats, or headers and see what you like.

This is about the best advise you can get on this topic. I've never had corsa but have heard it. Sounds great but I won't change from magnaflow because I love the deep rumble and when you ring it's neck it's a loud mofo. You gotta pic the sound. As far as hp numbers go you won't be able to tell between the 2.

hmmm I do plan on doing headers in the future I just dont have the money now for them. I love the deep rumble I guess I should have mentioned that I want the one with the deeper rumble haha. I plan to chip it or do a programmer too just havent decided on that yet. and thats all i have planned for now idk what to do past that.

Honestly dont waste your time with a chip or hand held tuner. Spend that money on a tune, you will get better results.

X2. This is sound advise. There are a handful of tuners associated with the site who get real good reviews from members. I use Zippy and am real happy.