Next step for my 408..turbo or supercharger??

All,

I have had my 408 stroker up and running for the past 9 months or so and want more power. I live in Colorado so I get robbed some horsepower due to altitude and am looking towards a turbo or supercharger for more power. just brief info on the motor: I kept the cam mild for reliability issues, I have cold air intake, headers, tunned by zippy, the whole engine was just went through 9 months ago, new pistons, lunnati cam, heads worked, callies setup for the bottom end. Looking for your guys input on some possibilities for my next step....would you recommend turbo or supercharger...what kit and why . I more than likely wont be taking it to the track, but use it as a weekend driver. Thanks your guys tips and advice.

Also, since I'm a few years late on picking up a BSER roll pan...anybody have and advice on other good looking roll pans.

Honestly you will get people saying go turbo and people saying go Blower. Its all a preference thing.

Ill give my 02...

It all depends on how you want your power to come on, instantly, or gradually. Turbo can be more expensive depending on how you choose to build the system. Both can make great power.

The most important thing is.....

Whats done to the trans?

What size cam do you have, compression ratio?

What size converter?

I myself have always been a Procharger kind of guy. Everyone either has a turbo,Nitrous or a roost style blower. I like to be different so I went with a centrifugal blower.

Your cam choice can make or break power gains depending on what size it is. You just cant throw a turbo or blower on. You will need to upgrade the fuel system to support the extra air if you dont have a larger one already. Your trans wont like the added power if it isnt built, as well as a upgraded trans cooler, and a new tune. The best way to tune any type of power adder setup is to do live data logging runs...

Well idk really what to do with cathedral ported heads other than nitrous I'd recommend getting some nice turbo boost cam and heads rectangular port maybe ported l92s and eventually get a single turbo maybe a 76 or 88mm they have $3g turbo kits that includes just about everything you'll need at tick performance

Honestly you will get people saying go turbo and people saying go Blower. Its all a preference thing.

Ill give my 02...

It all depends on how you want your power to come on, instantly, or gradually. Turbo can be more expensive depending on how you choose to build the system. Both can make great power.

The most important thing is.....

Whats done to the trans?

What size cam do you have, compression ratio?

What size converter?

I myself have always been a Procharger kind of guy. Everyone either has a turbo,Nitrous or a roost style blower. I like to be different so I went with a centrifugal blower.

Your cam choice can make or break power gains depending on what size it is. You just cant throw a turbo or blower on. You will need to upgrade the fuel system to support the extra air if you dont have a larger one already. Your trans wont like the added power if it isnt built, as well as a upgraded trans cooler, and a new tune. The best way to tune any type of power adder setup is to do live data logging runs...

This is all good info. You have a ton of little things you need to figure out. What kinda money do you have to work with and how do you want it to drive? If you go overboard it's gonna be hard to drive. You want it really streetable and reliable you wanna figure out exactly how you want it to drive.

Well idk really what to do with cathedral ported heads other than nitrous I'd recommend getting some nice turbo boost cam and heads rectangular port maybe ported l92s and eventually get a single turbo

Cathedral heads or not. It really doesn't matter. Unless your ALL OUT RACE, work with what ya got. Boost doesn't care what head you got. It can definitely add power, there is no doubt there.

Your main decision is two things in my opinion. Money and how much you want to tinker with it.

Blowers are definitely easier to install and maintain. Turbos can be a little more work. But I think turbos are easier to upgrade also.

There is lots of information on this website and lots of people to ask questions of. Read as much as you can, then ask all the questions you can. We are here to help.

I was talking to my cam guy and he said if you aren't going to go over 7000 rpm's you don't need to go rectangular heads. And in that mind the Cathedral head will flow just as much and if not more depending on heads and probably have better velocity. Think I read in one of my books that the cathedral flow more off of .200 than rectangular heads.......I'd have to check to make sure!

Some ported L92 heads versus ported 317s which I don't know much about but I'm pretty sure rectangular outflows it now high compression wise then you'll want some cathedral 243s. Point is if you want flow I'd go with rectangular ports thats just what I would do.