2003 AWD SS Silverado Transfer Case Rebuild Kit?

Hi, lately if i really ever "get on it" with the SS, I hear about 2 pops coming from the middle of underneath the truck. You can also sort of feel it. The motor and transmission are fine. I can't even feel the transmission shift it's in such great shape and it doesn't even sound remotely close to the motor. The truck has 215k miles, but has been VERY well taken care of. I could be wrong, but I'm believing that the noise I'm hearing is coming from the transfer case. I've noticed that if I just drive the truck, the noise never occurs, but it's like it's only when I really get on the throttle is where it occurs. If I drop the truck in first gear, I can get it to happen repeatedly, due to the high torquing at such a low gear. It's still a consecutive 2 pops. If I don't get on it a bit, it never happens. The truck rides as smooth as butter. I'm thinking that maybe the chain is loose and needs to be replaced or I need to buy a rebuild kit with the back half of the casing and bearings, etc. The main driveshaft has a little bit of play and I've noticed a bit of grease around where it enters the transfer case. I was curious if anyone has any idea for the ideal online store to purchase such a rebuild kit. Or maybe someone has experienced the same issue and knows I'm un-accurate at the source of my popping. Thanks in advance guys!

In the scheduled maintenance section of the owners manual they say to replace the transfer case chain at 60,000 mile intervals. I doubt that many get that, mine hasn't although I plan on doing it soon. (Not too far over that mileage yet).

You could be right about the chain. I don't know of a way to check it without taking it apart, but someone else might know of a way.

If you take it apart you should look into doing the pump rub eliminating kit;

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/transfer-case-pump-upgrade-kit.aspx

Other than that I have not heard of an actual kit for the case.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. :cheers:

just rebuilt my np149 03 silveradoss transfer case last week 8 hours to remove and reinstall about 5 to 6 hr to replace bearings and seals it was easy.....rebuild kit I used was from A&A auto in pa.kit no# was tsk246 transfer cs kit,np149/246 it was a complete kit ,but you have to order chain by it self , if you go on line and look up part no# other dealers have them ,,,,price 90.00 to 150.00 text me if you need help 570 690 4004 e.mack

When I installed my new transmission I dropped my transfer case off too have it gone through and have a case saver added all together it was 400 for everything. case saver not installed was close to 80.00 bucks everything else was a replace if needed at 135000 it really wasn't in that bad of shape that being said it also was only power by the stock motor no supercharger or turbo so that may have been why it was in decent shape hopefully my info will help you. at best I would do a chain and case saver for preventative protection and longevity

Thanks for all the help guys! Means a lot to be able to get help when needed. It may be a little while before I preform this minor rebuild (month or so), but I WILL report back whenever I do and keep you guys updated on how how it went, if it fixed it, etc. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I had a similar issue. I needed parts 670 and 674 http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/mm5/graphics/pdf/np149-2012.pdf My truck has 160k and I had a Maggie on it at one time. I am on my 6th transmission so by the law of averages it was time. Mine popped under a load. When I took the case out and apart I cannot see how it still worked as the splines we ALL just about completely gone.

I had a similar issue. I needed parts 670 and 674 http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/mm5/graphics/pdf/np149-2012.pdf My truck has 160k and I had a Maggie on it at one time. I am on my 6th transmission so by the law of averages it was time. Mine popped under a load. When I took the case out and apart I cannot see how it still worked as the splines we ALL just about completely gone.

Thanks for the PDF link. If it outlived 6 trannies it didn't owe you much, huh? :jester: