454LSX Build

amscholtz@comcast.net

A little more info that I got today.

The block is still good, it will need to be bored .20 over though, it was already ,10 over and had 1 1/2 thousandths of taper on it. The pistons are still good but we need to get a bit bigger ones to fit the new bores.

Crank and rods are both good.

We are in the process of finding a shop with the capability of boring the block now, our local guy doesn't have the right plate.

So that means so far I will need pistons, cam, lifters, and rockers as well as a gasket set.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Block is going down to a shop in Kirkland that has experience with the LSX.

I got some more info on the heads today.

Valve head diameter is 2.15 intake and 1.6 exhaust

Intake Runner Size: 268cc

Combustion Chamber Size: 75cc

CFM is 355 at .650 lift

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the block was torn down and checked out by the machine shop finally. I was lied to by the seller about what parts were in the engine, probably nothing I can do about that now but it sucks being lied to. (edit as I don't want to point fingers without knowing, possibly was the machine shop that lied about what went into it, but it was definitely misrepresented to me.)

The block is able to be bored out to 4.20 and Weisco makes a set of pistons for that size. The only thing they need to do yet is sonic test it to make sure it will hold up. The bottom end will be fully blueprinted and have all high quality parts in it, and will come back as a fully assembled short block with a warranty. I will just need to pick out rockers and cam once it is done. Going to be expensive but I don't really want to put my stock 6.0L back into it after coming this far.

Edited by Red454SS (see edit history)

The rest of the block was torn down and checked out by the machine shop finally. I was lied to by the seller about what parts were in the engine, probably nothing I can do about that now but it sucks being lied to.

The block is able to be bored out to 4.20 and Weisco makes a set of pistons for that size. The only thing they need to do yet is sonic test it to make sure it will hold up. The bottom end will be fully blueprinted and have all high quality parts in it, and will come back as a fully assembled short block with a warranty. I will just need to pick out rockers and cam once it is done. Going to be expensive but I don't really want to put my stock 6.0L back into it after coming this far.

Yeah; Getting lied to sucks. Are you sure that he knew? Maybe a shop lied to him about it.

I don't think that I would be happy downsizing either. I'd want to go bigger if anything. :jester:

I am not sure if he knew, it is definitely possible the shop was the one that lied about it. We have receipts for high end parts and once the motor came apart it shows lots of cheap or stock stuff in it. Gave them the go ahead on the motor earlier, going to be great when done but ponying up that kind of cash is going to hurt.

I am not sure if he knew, it is definitely possible the shop was the one that lied about it. We have receipts for high end parts and once the motor came apart it shows lots of cheap or stock stuff in it. Gave them the go ahead on the motor earlier, going to be great when done but ponying up that kind of cash is going to hurt.

I'm sure it will be great to have a motor you can be confident in but I know that it's a mighty expensive procedure.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

>>>

...and had 1 1/2 thousandths of taper on it.

<<<

HOLY &*#$%!!! After only 8000-miles?! SO SORRY to hear about this situation, for what it's worth I've been there before on past projects. Totally understand the being lied to part as well. F'n sucks. It is very hard to find truly qualified machinists, not just technically qualified but ethically qualified as well. I learned long ago, and now I have NO problem paying good money to good people.

Building a LSX with that much stroke requires some expert knowledge (so as to not have too much of the piston skirt unsupported at the bottom of the stroke). But man I LOVE the sound of the motors with the 4.125" crank in them - BEASTLY!

Mr. P.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update, had to get custom pistons built which finally showed up last week, waiting over a month for one part sucks. The bottom end should be getting built over the next week and will be up to my local guy to get put back together and installed the week after. Should be a big update with some engine specs coming very soon, all I need to get now is the rockers and I should be doing that tomorrow.

Still waiting on some custom gaskets to show up and get this show on the road, got my rocker arm situation figured out though and will be sending them down to be rebuilt since my cores are still good. Did a bunch of research and calling around and found that people are having very good results with upgraded ones from CHE Precision so they are on the way to have new guts put in.