454LSX Build

amscholtz@comcast.net

So most of the internals of my engine are trashed, my mechanic suspects it was built wrong and not broke in correctly since it only had 8,000 miles on it. I will know later today if we need to machine the block and get new pistons but so far here is what I know is still usable.

Pistons (provided block can be reused as is)

Ported West Coast Racing L92 heads

H-Beam Rods

7.4 push rods

The cam has a big chunk out of it, the rockers are toast, the lifters need replacing with the rockers.

I am very new to all of this stuff so I am requesting help from all of you. I know the cam choice dictates the rest of it, and I have done a bit of research on the other parts so far. I am hoping you guys can help me pick out the right stuff so this won't happen again. I am looking for a very reliable street setup, hp numbers don't matter but more is always better of course. Budget is a concern but I am willing to spend more for better stuff if it will make a huge difference provided it's still reliable. I have all the supporting mods for the LSX already installed, including a huge radiator, fuel lines and pump, ect. Please let me know what other specs and parts you would need are on the truck to know how to answer this fully.

Thanks everyone for the support, this site has always answered the questions I have had about the two SS trucks I have owned, it has been incredibly helpful to have you guys available.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the news. So it sounds like another lifter wiped out the cam and cost you a motor. Hard to tell you what to do or what I would do to be honest. A good set of lifters for sure. Make sure the machinist checks the bores to make sure a stock size lifter can be used. As for the cylinders hopefully nothing went through the motor and the walls are OK and still in spec and a hone and ring job is needed. What is the compression ratio on the motor with the old pistons and heads? That can be a big factor in specing a new cam.

Keep us up to date on this. I am curious as to what all went on with it.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Hone and rings are happening for sure regardless, I am just hoping we won't have to bore it out and get different pistons. There was quite a bit of metal in the oil pan though so who knows, I should hear back soon. The documentation said the engine was 11:1, we are pretty sure based on the stuff in it that it was closer to 9:1 though. I am hoping to get a list of parts that were all in there within the next day or so.

The Crank wasn't listed in the good parts... was it okay?

Find out exactly what you have and then I would call Brian Tooley up and talk with him about cam specs and what not. He is a good guy to run this type of thing by.

I would also invest in some tie bar lifters so this type of thing doesnt happen in the future.

Please post up all the specs on the pistons and also on the heads if you can. I would call WCCH with the original owners name and see if he can help you out on what the heads are.

I'm not sure on the crank yet, should hopefully know tomorrow.

Got some info on the heads from WCCH, they are L92s, 5364 casting number. The had a stage 2 CNC done to them which was machining most but not all of the ports. They don't have a good record of which spring kit was on there, he is guessing it was a Patriot kit but I will have a valve head measured to verify.

http://www.proheads.com/WCCH%20L92.html is the page for the L92s.

Compression ratio was 9.5:1.

The intake is supposedly an L76, will be verifying that next time I am there.

I'm not sure on the crank yet, should hopefully know tomorrow.

Got some info on the heads from WCCH, they are L92s, 5364 casting number. The had a stage 2 CNC done to them which was machining most but not all of the ports. They don't have a good record of which spring kit was on there, he is guessing it was a Patriot kit but I will have a valve head measured to verify.

http://www.proheads.com/WCCH L92.html is the page for the L92s.

Compression ratio was 9.5:1.

The intake is supposedly an L76, will be verifying that next time I am there.

You need to ask them what the intake runner size is. Also what the combustion chamber size is.

Also need the info on the pistons.

Their stage 2 description tells neither of these.

Also which head gasket was on it and how far did the piston come out of the hole?

If you want help these are very important things that need to be known. If you are able to quote the compression all this info you should have.

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

My motor was built by the same people and I just found out that the pistons where too tight in the bore. That caused failure of the piston skirts, the crank was undercut (which isn't a big deal) but they used the wrong bearings. That caused one of the crank bearings to start to walk. A few other issues popped up too.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

what you need to have to know the compression is below.

Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber:

Piston Volume:

Bore:

Stroke:

Piston to Deck Height:

Compressed gasket thickness:

Gasket Bore Diameter:

If we can get these we can tell exactly what compression it was. 9.5:1 is pretty low for a NA application. I'd like to see it around 10.5 to 11:1 for a street engine.

Also please make sure it goes to a reputable builder that has built LS engines before.

Crank has not been seen yet, still at the machine shop getting checked out, should hopefully know tonight.

Intake and combustion chamber we don't have a way to measure, my mechanic is going to measure the valve and then I will call WCCH back and he should be able to tell me, all the record he has shows is that they have custom stainless steel valves and springs and the stage 2 porting.

Piston volume we are waiting on the machine shop for as well, they have a pretty large dish so the current guess is -5 to -7 cc but I will verify.

Bore and stroke are 4.185 x 4.125

Piston to deck height and compression gasket thickness I am unsure of currently, I will measure the gasket bore next time I am able to get up there.

I remember reading the build thread or a thread that mentioned 454Lsx...sorry to hear about the misfortune. Just know she will be back up and running and tearing ish apart. The guys on the site won't steer you wrong. I've noticed only the elite few have chimed in on this, not myself which they can steer you in the right direction :chevy: