which heads??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the difference in the hollow stem valves doesnt mean squat when modding and the valvespings would go bye bye anyway soo....? does it matter?

I wouldn't want hollow stem valves. Just me though. I'm going to run boost, and likely going with AFR heads.

the difference in the hollow stem valves doesnt mean squat when modding and the valvespings would go bye bye anyway soo....? does it matter?

That's a very incorrect statement. When you need rpm you need a stable valve train. Light valves can help with spring pressures, valve bounce, and valve float. Mine are turned down hollow ls3 valves to help my motor run 7300 rpm with kinda minimal piston to valve, .080

Although afr is my second choice, I don't think they will beat a trick flow head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

if your going threw changing valves and spending the money then it doesnt matter what your buying either 243 or 799. Im with shadowsniper and TFS heads are tits second would be AFR's but still theyre a lot of dough. shadow which heads were you running when you were goin 12.7's on the 224??

if your going threw changing valves and spending the money then it doesnt matter what your buying either 243 or 799. Im with shadowsniper and TFS heads are tits second would be AFR's but still theyre a lot of dough. shadow which heads were you running when you were goin 12.7's on the 224??

12.8s, tea stage 2.5 317s decked to 68cc. Hard to beat their porting...on any ls head. By the way, check the tea address and the trick flow address....

That's a very incorrect statement. When you need rpm you need a stable valve train. Light valves can help with spring pressures, valve bounce, and valve float. Mine are turned down hollow ls3 valves to help my motor run 7300 rpm with kinda minimal piston to valve, .080

Although afr is my second choice, I don't think they will beat a trick flow head.

I haven't seen that. Every article has AFR and TFS roughly the same. With the exception of one article and the TFS heads were HEAVILY worked over, ie not what your going to get if you are joe blow.

It's been my experience in the Performance boat world, that AFR is easier to get a hold of as well. My 35 fountain lightening has twin Merc racing 540 bulldogs with AFR heads and whipple quad rotor superchargers. Each motor makes 1040 hp at 4.5#s of boost. Boat runs in the 130s.

I haven't seen that. Every article has AFR and TFS roughly the same. With the exception of one article and the TFS heads were HEAVILY worked over, ie not what your going to get if you are joe blow.

It's been my experience in the Performance boat world, that AFR is easier to get a hold of as well. My 35 fountain lightening has twin Merc racing 540 bulldogs with AFR heads and whipple quad rotor superchargers. Each motor makes 1040 hp at 4.5#s of boost. Boat runs in the 130s.

My research has shown me otherwise. Pay attention to the flow numbers/or hp but compare the valve sizes used on each head and or the test bore size, and runner size used to compare the two

Although the boat is cool, its hardly a awd 5100 pound truck with a ls based motor in it. If you want a run of mill trick flow head you can call up summit or jegs right now. If you want to go through tea and get a tfs head with custom valves or better springs or decked a little, then it will take a while longer. I chose to wait

Brad you were running the same cam setup I have? I'm prob going to do a set of ported n polished 243 heads soon. What else would you recommend?

My cam was 224/228 .610/.588 113+4. So although it shares the intake duration nothing else is the same. 243 is a nice head to use, like was said earlier don't be afraid of the typically cheaper 799. Once ported they are equal, unless you want the hollow valves which can be added anyway. My home computer isn't hooked up anymore and my lap top took a crap so I can't figure out compression like I would like to, but I would try to maintain the 64/65 cc chamber after porting and use a thinner gasket for what tea recommends for quench height. My opinion is to use a roller tip rocker not the upgraded stock rockers. I prefer yella terra although I think their customer service sucks should you need it. There's a bunch of arguments for and against changing from the stock rockers, I personally don't buy the arguments for them, but its my opinion vs theirs. I also choose to upgrade the lifters for something made to handle rpm and spring pressure. I chose the cts-vr lifters at first but then went to morel. Zippy says he uses the ls7 most of the time, hard to argue with him. I also prefer less lifter preload, like about .015-.020. Again, arguments for more and less are out there, and both make sense, I prefer the less route. Other then that, up your stall, but I know its your dd....but a 3600 really isn't anything to fear. But city mpg will go down. I think I get 6 in the city, but still 13 on the highway in lock up.