which heads??

ok im going with an FLT Level 5 tranny, PI Vigilante multidisc 9.5" (3200-3400)converter, TSP 228r 112lsa cam. got the efans and 8.1 marine injectors.

Question! which heads should i get?? i plan on getting a head and cam package from Texas Speed. they have pretty good package prices. just not sure which heads will work and what i should go with? im told there might be clearance issues with the L92s even tho they seem popular. also that will accept my stock intake.thanks

Edited by slammedbowtie (see edit history)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok im going with an FLT Level 5 tranny, PI Vigilante multidisc 9.5" (3200-3400)converter, TSP 228r 112lsa cam. got the efans and 8.1 marine injectors.

Question! which heads should i get?? i plan on getting a head and cam package from Texas Speed. they have pretty good package prices. just not sure which heads will work and what i should go with? im told there might be clearance issues with the L92s even tho they seem popular. also that will accept my stock intake.thanks

The L92 heads have d- shapped intake ports and the stock intake has a cathedral ports. So you will have to replace intake also to use those heads.

personally for the price of any texas-speed kit, id be looking at having AI put together a kit. they quoted me 1800 with me providing castings. plus they spec you a cam taylored to your goals and truck. not an off the shelf kit. give them a call theyre in concord, NC

this is my daily driver. i cant have stuff sent out. i gotta install it same day lol. thats around the price TSP has for a head/cam package. i have been reading endlessly! i would like to have an idea of what i want before i call a company. there are tons of 228r swaps on here and i cant find much in the head department....i know i know, sounds like a personal problem

Edited by slammedbowtie (see edit history)

ok route I personally am taking:

having built trans and stall install as we speak

Send the 799 heads I had purchased sent to AI to have them do their 232cc head job. Reason I am going with AI: They yield some of the best results out there for any CNC program for LSX heads hand down. Plus their customer service is excellent and have promptly replied to every email and phone call I have made. They also specd me a head + cam package (valvesprings,pushrods,etc to make a complete kit) They also specd me a custom cam tailored to the stall I already have and the flow numbers expected from their porting. A bolt on aftermarket head would be really nice as well but Isnt in the budget for me. like TFS, AFR, heard decent things about RHS as well. If your budget can afford aftermarket castings then go that route. I personally dont like off the shelf cams. They are tailored at the general public and every vehicle is different, so it leaves power on the table...

I have my heads. Bought them for $300 on craigslist :thumbsup: I havent sent them out yet as I had to fund a new transmission for the truck but once i recover, they will have them. Now with that said, call around to various venders and see what they say about your goals and budget. There are many reputable shops that do port work. Dont buy a converter until after you have the whole build on paper with everything listed with specs so you know exactly which stall will work best with your setup. Take the guess work out of it yourself and let someone who does this for a living spec it for you. I remember reading some of Shawsnipers posts on his build. Im waiting for him to chime in. He ran a 224 and with the right stall he was in the 12's (i dont remember if he said he had his 243's on at that point tho) but for all its worth, I know calling different shops sucks but if you want the best, Gotta do it. With AI and most shops you will have to provide your castings. Ebay, CL, forums theyre pretty easy to find for less than $400

there you go. theres also some very good information and writeups over on ls1tech.com as well also about this, as well as tons of vendors that would love to have your business.

i have read endlessly but i just dont know anyhting about heads. its like jibberish to me lol. most of the head cam stuff i can find is on ls1.com but idk the differences in their engines and setups compared to ours. im gonna call some vendors and get schooled. thanks for your help

hows NJ's weather right now? im originally from NJ but way south and i heard there was a big storm rolling threw

I'm gonna randomly chime in here loll. I'm in south jersey on the shore. It went from calm and overcast, to pitch black, downpouring, and wicked thunder in 10 Mins... Then only lasted 10-15 mins, and it has been actually slightly sunny and nice out since :shrug: supposedly something else is hitting tonight, but we'll see

sent from your HTC Rezound