Time to split the transfer case open

Well, I am in the process of preparing to take out my transfer case and split it open to replace my rear output shaft bearing. I have looked everywhere for a video or good pics of what it takes to do. I am pretty mechanically inclined and think I can do this job. I just do not like any suprises that will stop my progress. I looked at various types of Chevy transfer case disassembly videos on youtube but can not find the NP149 disassembly at all. I knoe about the snap ring that holds on the rear half of the case and the snap ring in front of the output shaft bearing. What Iwould like to know is does the output shaft bearing have to be pressed on or off and if so what else is involved with removing the shaft from the case. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. Thanks for the help.

I did this about two years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. But I was able to do this in my garage without a press I replaced all the bearings and seals. I used a harbor freight press plate kit to drive in bearings and made a tool to drive in the seals and some bearings. It was easier than I expected. I found A LOT of good useful info here:

http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents.htm

http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents/service%20docs/nvg149dis/NVG-149-P%20Disassemby%20Information.htm

Edited by drkblusierra (see edit history)

I did this about two years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. But I was able to do this in my garage without a press I replaced all the bearings and seals. I used a harbor freight press plate kit to drive in bearings and made a tool to drive in the seals and some bearings. It was easier than I expected. I found A LOT of good useful info here:

http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents.htm

http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents/service%20docs/nvg149dis/NVG-149-P%20Disassemby%20Information.htm

Thats awesome, I was really hoping that I wouldn't need a press for the bearings. So far I have the truck on ramps for alittle more room. I appreciate the input alot. How bad was it getting the snap rings off. I have the autozone ring pliers, I guess if it won't do it I will buy a better pair. If you think of anything else please let me know. Thanks again.

I bought pliers from kragen and broke them. I really don't recall using a press, though i still could have, and forgotten.... I had a egg shaped case half at the rear output. I had to buy a aftermarket case half on eBay which is aluminum, keep that in mind when looking over your high milage t-case.

The snap rings weren't bad, but I work on machinery and see all types of weird stuff and might be used to it.

The snap ring are a pain if you don't have a decent pair of pliers. I did a slip yoke eliminator on my jeep and had a heck of a time with the snap ring pliers I have now. It did get the job done though. I'm sure it will be a fight but I will get them off one way or another. I will post the results tomorrow once I get this thing finished.

Hope this project goes good for you Jason. I look forward to reading your report on how it goes.

Are you familiar with the Sonnax pump plate kit?

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/2595

The stock set-up is known to wear a hole through the case and this is the accepted fix.

Good luck, bud. :cheers:

I finished the bearing replacement after about 6 hours of work. The biggest hold up was the snap rings. I have the pliers for it but they are the autozone cheap ones. End result they worked eventually. The transfer case is nice and smooth now. I really appreciate all the help from you guys here and the quick responses. Now to find my cell phone I left on the bumper when I took it for a test drive.

I finished the bearing replacement after about 6 hours of work. The biggest hold up was the snap rings. I have the pliers for it but they are the autozone cheap ones. End result they worked eventually. The transfer case is nice and smooth now. I really appreciate all the help from you guys here and the quick responses. Now to find my cell phone I left on the bumper when I took it for a test drive.

Good going on the T-case Jason.

Good luck with the cell.

So would you recommend top quality snap ring pliers?

Good going on the T-case Jason.

Good luck with the cell.

So would you recommend top quality snap ring pliers?

John, I would really recommend some top quality snap ring pliers, it would probably be a great investment for future use if you ever have to use them again. I honestly would of saved about 2 hours of my time if I would of bought good ones. Instead I ended up having to file my snap ring plier tips to put a groove in them so they would stop slipping. I was a battle even after that but I was determined to make them work. Im am glad to be done with it. I did notice my oil pump has a different looking clip on the part that normally causes the case to wear a hole. This clip is attached to the pump its self and not the case. Wondering if this was a GM fix for the pump to help with the case wear.

John, I would really recommend some top quality snap ring pliers, it would probably be a great investment for future use if you ever have to use them again. I honestly would of saved about 2 hours of my time if I would of bought good ones. Instead I ended up having to file my snap ring plier tips to put a groove in them so they would stop slipping. I was a battle even after that but I was determined to make them work. Im am glad to be done with it. I did notice my oil pump has a different looking clip on the part that normally causes the case to wear a hole. This clip is attached to the pump its self and not the case. Wondering if this was a GM fix for the pump to help with the case wear.

Thanks for the extra info and advise on the pliers Jason.

Could be whoever rebuilt your case added an upgraded pump kit? I don't know if GM has made an upgrade kit or not. Haven't heard of one from them.

Any luck finding the cell phone?