potato land build , 9's@140mph+ goal

idahoBLKss

What kind of boost levels do you want? 20-25? I would have to see that compressor map but with a single 50mm wastegate I don't think you will be able to gate anything less than around 15psi. I think with your setup and your demands that will be fine. I'm guessing your shooting for around 22-25psi? Probably every bit of 25 if you want 140 in the quarter! I am in to watch this build!

You are correct. If I see anything less the 20psi I'll be extremely disapointed in my self and the build. With that said this is my first turbo build and its going to be a learning curve but I hope to be able to push this turbo 100% of what it can do.I pushed the d1 to pretty close to its max at 22.7 psi and didn't even think about head studding the heads so me studding the heads now should tell you something .... lol

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

so me studding the heads now should tell you something .... lol

I'm really curious to see how your set is done. I am pretty sure I read through everything but must have missed your cr level? Going to go mid to high 8's? I did mine at 8.8:1 and I figured that it would pretty easily handle all if 20 psi. Arp head studs, mains, rods, intake manifold and on the exhaust I put the arp stud kit just to support the turbo flange and all. That t6 setup might need an extra mounting brace to support the weight?

Are you going to ceramic just the hot side? And throw a blanket onto the turbine? I couldn't believe the diffrence I between the exposed hot side and the covered hot side. I would say spool time was cut in half. Huge diffrence.

If I can help in any way. Please just ask. I just had twin girls on Friday. So I might take a bit to respond. :)

Keep us posted.

I'm really curious to see how your set is done. I am pretty sure I read through everything but must have missed your cr level? Going to go mid to high 8's? I did mine at 8.8:1 and I figured that it would pretty easily handle all if 20 psi. Arp head studs, mains, rods, intake manifold and on the exhaust I put the arp stud kit just to support the turbo flange and all. That t6 setup might need an extra mounting brace to support the weight? Are you going to ceramic just the hot side? And throw a blanket onto the turbine? I couldn't believe the diffrence I between the exposed hot side and the covered hot side. I would say spool time was cut in half. Huge diffrence. If I can help in any way. Please just ask. I just had twin girls on Friday. So I might take a bit to respond. :) Keep us posted.

wow twin girls! congrats man , thats wonderful !! i have 3 girls my self , not twins and its a hand full lol .

im still on stock motor and stock compression, but, i think the ls9 gaskets will change it a little bit from what i have read . so it shouldnt be much off of stock CR but running e85 helps a ton and allows for allot more boost and timing , i would never do this on pump gas thats for sure. yeah im going to brace the flange area with a brace coming off of the passenger head for sure. im going to get them coated as well including the stock manifolds. now when you say covered hot side do you mean coated or did you heat wrap it also ? thanks for offering me help cause im going to need it.

I wrapped all of the hot pipes on mine. Granted, they are not coated either. I also wrapped my downpipe down to where my wastegate is. Which is about 2-3 feet iirc.

What I meant was were you only going to coat the hot side of the turbo? Or also going to put a blanket on it? Like a dei turbo blanket.

I'm also curious what you decided to do with the heads? My first two setups were with stock heads just upgraded springs. My last and final setup I have the 317's completely reworked. Full heavy porting and polishing, I think is was a 5way valve job(iirc) hardend seats new valves, Harland sharp rockers, still rocking the beehive springs, but the airflow number were really good after the massage job. I did too much to the whole thing at once but I know the heads made a diffrence. Everyone told me to leave them alone, but head machining is cheap compared to everything else. What can it hurt? Especially with that cam. Going to get a lot of air in there with that lift. I'm definitely not a cam guy. But there's not much overlap there. I don't know about the 115 though? What did zippy say about the cam?

for now the heads will remain stock besides the springs , just not enough funds to do them at this time. eventually i would like to do so trick flows i think not sure on what ones yet , i havent thought that far down the road yet. who did your heads someone local or did you ship them out? there is a guy on pt that has the same cam i got with same turbo im getting just a lil smaller and he said it hits hard around 4k rpms , but its just a run it cause i got it at the moment im going to take it one step at a time and see how it goes.

im still on stock motor and stock compression

This will be so cool to see. You've already got the record for fastest stock block. Is that the goal here? To push that record and run 9s on a stock block? Or do you just wanna run 9s in general? I know these motors are stout and can take a lot of beating. And as long as you dont have any lean spots, i think you'll be okay. She'll melt quick if she goes lean at WOT w/ 20psi. But if you pop the stock block, id definitely be going forged this next time around and drop CR to accept the increase in boost. What does Zippy say about all this? Does he have faith it'll put up with 20psi? Haha thats a TON of boost! Haha i cant wait for this to take shape. Definitely keep pumping that E85! This is gong to be SO cool!

its been running on 22 psi for a while now but boost is just restriction really and means nothing. this turbo will flow way more air at the same boost levels which in return will make way more power. its not a matter of getting there on a stock block i just want to get there lol. zippy thinks it would be cool to see a stock block get there but he also thinks it would be cool to build a 408 and sell my stock block so im not out money if it does let go.

Yeah. A turbo 408 sure would be cool. So its been on 22psi for awhile?! Was this with the procharger? But you're shooting for the same amount of boost but this time with a turbo? I guess thatd free up some horses by taking the supercharger draw out of the equation. I know you said you wanted a truck built for freeway pulls. Where is all the extra power coming from to carry you to 9s 1/4mi? I thought 22psi was 22psi (if flowing through the same motor/heads). I know a turbo'd motor would provide more power @ 22psi than a supercharged one (assuming the builds are exactly the same). I can understand if you ported and polished the heads and dropped to say, 16psi, but you're still pushing the same amount of air but less restriction, equaling in more power. So less boost CAN equal more power, as like you said, boost is just restriction. Then you could always increase turbo output to bring boost back up to 22psi. So running 22psi through one set of P&P heads would be a hell of a lot more air than running 22psi on stock heads, equaling in more power. But running the same heads with a turbo or procharger and seeing 22psi on both, isnt it the same amount of physical air, since its the same amount of restriction? I didnt know you could push more air through the same space and not have resistance readings increase. Sorry if this rambling doesnt make any sense. Haha im finding it hard to explain my train of thought here.

yeah i been running 22 psi for about 7 months or so now but, lets not focus on BOOST focus more on cfm or lbs/min or whatever you want to call it. its not really about pressure, but the mass of air you are moving. The more mass of oxygen in the cylinder the more mass of fuel you can put in and the more power you can make. best way i can explain it is since im not a math major is if you blow 20psi through a coffee straw as appose to blowing 20 psi threw a regular straw what is flowing more air even though it the same psi? the bigger straw of course since it can move more air. or another way or looking at it is what has more air a bicycle tire at 40 psi or a 36" truck tire at 20 psi. these a just simple examples of how psi means nothing.

porting heads and bigger Cubic Inches is just giving more room to move more air in and out . but if you read up on this allot of people out grow their blowers or turbos when doing this and need to upgrade the blower or turbo because the lack of it being able to flow the cfm the engine can take. bottom line is more air in and more air out is the goal to make power.

Example-this is approx @ 1.5bar boost

60mm @1.5= 40lbs/min

S400 80mm @1.5= 75lbs/min

This is lots of variables here and I couldn't find an s480 on my phone. Bigger compressor wheel also moves more air while spinning slowly and helping keep iat's lower.