How To: Big 3 Upgrade

The_aSSet

To start off I am not responsible for any damage to your or anyone elses vehicle, have common sense when working with wiring!

STEP 1: Get supplies! I got my stuff from knukonceptz.com (dont get me started on the name, products and prices are decent though)

Parts list:

• 7tf Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power /Ground Wire
  • 10ft Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Black Power/Ground Wire (I did not use all 10 feet, 6-7 would have sufficed)
  • 2 General Motors Side Post Battery Terminal (these look nice and allow for easy connections to be added)
  • 4 Gold Plated 1/0 Ring Terminal - Black
  • 2 Gold Plated 1/0 Ring Terminal -Red

20130313_102428_zps18a98bbd.jpg

STEP 2: Remove battery and replace terminals

20130313_102158_zps216f3e74.jpg

20130313_102211_zpsefc22670.jpg

STEP 3: Add the bigger ground/power wires to existing locations(mine might be different)

First thing I did was "measure" the existing the wires you're upgrading, I just held the big wire up to what I was upgrading and give it a little wiggle room for the terminals.

I cut the wire to the correct length with bolt cutters and found that to be the easiest way unless you have some industrial wire cutters since these are fat wires.

next I used a knife to strip the ends of each wire and getting the stripped wire into the terminals was a little tricky but for the most part fairly easy.

Now for crimping the terminals, I do not have giant crimpers so i went with the caveman method of using a screwdriver and a hammer to crimp them and it worked out nicely. after they were crimped I soldered the ends of the wire to make sure they werent going anywhere.

20130313_113338_zpsb06d9ba1.jpg

but after you're done cutting, crimping and soldering your wire should look like this

20130313_110426_zps11a822ab.jpg

and here you can see where I added it to the existing power wire location on the alternator, the other end goes on the battery positive of course.

Do not remove any of the factory grounds when doing this upgrade, its better to add the bigger wires ontop of the factory stuff than to replace it all.

20130313_110711_zps055d1694.jpg

My ground locations were below the battery on the frame

c014b8bd-7dd1-46c9-a1d9-c2adef1e131f_zps26cd8bde.jpg

and below the front of the drivers side head(your locations may differ)

33294976-76e6-460d-8619-001097978c38_zpse99c8cde.jpg

and a crappy shot of the battery with all the new stuff hooked up

20130313_133705_zps8bda0563.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up there's also a kit pcmforless sells I don't think the wires were as big though but I know that wire you used is by the foot priced that stuff is great for amps as well this write up is a must for you guys out there with systems that go boom LOL

nice write up!! have you noticed any gains

I had a ground problem so when I would turn my key to the on position it would only be giving me around 9 volts but now it gives me just under 14. other than that its just good peace of mind for me

Looks good dude! Nice write up! Your truck has always been one of my favs. How are you liking the 408 ;)

Bet she's a beast.

thanks man. Shes doin good, sucking down gas like no tomorrow lol

Nice write up there's also a kit pcmforless sells I don't think the wires were as big though but I know that wire you used is by the foot priced that stuff is great for amps as well this write up is a must for you guys out there with systems that go boom LOL

yessir, thank you

Nice write up nick and good job on the pics also!

thanks! :cheers:

Thanks for the write up and link to the supplies. I've been wanting to do this myself and this makes it clear just what to do.

Is your replacement wire from the Alternator a fused wire like the original? Looks mighty meaty. :thumbsup:

I didn't fuse the wire to the alt, you can though and knukoncepts has inline fuses on their website if you want to go the extra mile.

What is the purpose of this upgrade better power/grounding on the vehicle?.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yup, also its good if you have dimming issues with big sound systems or something that draws alot of power.

Just reinforcement of the small stock wires.

Good write up for people. I got a shit ton of knu kolossus in my truck. Very legit wire. It just helps givea better ground to everything and make voltage steady I guess. I know my ground from battery was a ****ing 8 or 10 gauge. I LOL'd. It has defiantly made a difference in light dimming. I have even heard people claim better idle to even gaining gas mileage.

I did mine because I was running amps and what not. Always want to have a wire the same size if not bigger running from alt to batt and batt to ground that you do running from batt to amp and amp to ground. Makes sure nothing is bottle necking and getting all the current it can.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2