Camming the 5.3

Biggest and hardest decision of my life IMO. Sooooo many different options. My eyes have been recently opened to texas speed and I now see that they have cam packages. I was debating on what to get. I basically want to get a cam and suffice without a TC for awhile and be able to tow and have a DD. There is also the decision of dual valve springs which i don't necessarily understand.

You're going to here this from alot of people on here that it all depends on what you future mods are going to be. If all you want to do is put in a cam it and leave it. It may not be worth your trouble. Get a tune first then plan on going through all your bolt ons ie: exhaust, CAI. Then if your still not satisfied think about some heads and a cam. Or just throw a Radix on it and call it a day. Also read the stickies found this in less than a minute and has good info- http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/51957-cam-choice-guide-and-question-post/

You're going to here this from alot of people on here that it all depends on what you future mods are going to be. If all you want to do is put in a cam it and leave it. It may not be worth your trouble. Get a tune first then plan on going through all your bolt ons ie: exhaust, CAI. Then if your still not satisfied think about some heads and a cam. Or just throw a Radix on it and call it a day. Also read the stickies found this in less than a minute and has good info- http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/51957-cam-choice-guide-and-question-post/

I have a CAI, True Duals TB Spacer. Cam is just the next level. Adrenaline Junkies simply do not stop adding more power. I am just reading that as we speak. I have Superchips cortex tuner also...forgot to mention.

I have a CAI, True Duals TB Spacer. Cam is just the next level. Adrenaline Junkies simply do not stop adding more power. I am just reading that as we speak. I have Superchips cortex tuner also...forgot to mention.

If you plan on adding more and more stuff to your truck you need to decide if you want to stay NA or go FI in the future. That will determine where to start as to what cam to get. I personally got the Comp XR275HR 222/224 .566/.568 112LSA which is a awesome NA cam and sounds freaken great. But also got it before I was FI which if I knew I was going FI in the near future at that time I would have got a different cam. Not saying this cam hurts my performance but a different cam could of yeilded me a fraction more. And I want as much as I can get. :D

If you plan on adding more and more stuff to your truck you need to decide if you want to stay NA or go FI in the future. That will determine where to start as to what cam to get. I personally got the Comp XR275HR 222/224 .566/.568 112LSA which is a awesome NA cam and sounds freaken great. But also got it before I was FI which if I knew I was going FI in the near future at that time I would have got a different cam. Not saying this cam hurts my performance but a different cam could of yeilded me a fraction more. And I want as much as I can get. :D

Does this count as FI?

scoop.jpg

By the way you should seriously consider FI. Those 5.3's love boost and you won't regret it. Heads- $1200, Cam-$400, install-$600-1000, =$2200-$2600. Used Radix $3000-$3500 and is DIY if you have any mechanical abilities. And with the radix its all the low end torque you want and more power is a pulley away.

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

By the way you should seriously consider FI. Those 5.3's love boost and you won't regret it. Heads- $1200, Cam-$400, install-$600-1000, =$2200-$2600. Used Radix $3000-$3500 and is DIY if you have any mechanical abilities. And with the radix its all the low end torque you want and more power is a pulley away.

I am more of on a budget than anything. FI is not an option ATM, would do more engine work before i considered FI.

You won't need a high duration or lift unless you plan on adding more cubes or FI which requires more fuel. Also keep in mind that lower duration cams make more torque at lower rpms while the higher duration tend to sacrifice lower torque for higher rpm torque. Then like stated above you need to decide if there are any future go fast parts to determine what lobe seperation you want as the more performance parts you add the wider seperation you want.

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)