Voltage issue, comes and goes...

Blown 346

Bummer! Sorry to hear your going through more aggravation.

Years ago I got three master cyl. from a major parts house and all three failed within a couple hundred miles each.

Went through a couple mech. fuel pumps for a 350 from the same parts house.

Too much of that stuff was rebuilt in China back in those days. (May still be for all I know) I go OEM, if possible, anymore.

Did you change to a 93" belt when you upgraded to the 145 amp alternator?

There was no way the original belt was going on the 145 alt. when I put one on my truck. I stopped short of trying a crowbar to get it on though. :jester:

Gotta have the longer belt. :thumbsup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer! Sorry to hear your going through more aggravation.

Years ago I got three master cyl. from a major parts house and all three failed within a couple hundred miles each.

Went through a couple mech. fuel pumps for a 350 from the same parts house.

Too much of that stuff was rebuilt in China back in those days. (May still be for all I know) I go OEM, if possible, anymore.

There was no way the original belt was going on the 145 alt. when I put one on my truck. I stopped short of trying a crowbar to get it on though. :jester:

Gotta have the longer belt. :thumbsup:

The first Alternator I got was made in Mexico so that was probably half the problem. The new one i got today was actually the original GM part number DR44G. So I was happy, it was of better construction just by looking at it.

At first I tried to squeeze the original belt on as well. lol I spent about 20 minutes swearing and couldnt figure it out until I realized the case was a different size, as the parts store never told me about needing a new belt.

At first I tried to squeeze the original belt on as well. lol I spent about 20 minutes swearing and couldnt figure it out until I realized the case was a different size, as the parts store never told me about needing a new belt.

Sounds real familiar. :jester:

When I went back and told the parts guy why I needed the longer belt I could see the light bulb go off in his head.

good info i have this exact same issue with voltage drop and just bought a bigger alternator to 145amp even tho my alt seem to be charging fine i think my issue at a stop is low rpm cuz i sit around 500 at a stop...hope bigger alt fixes it

Always speak to soon. I waited to start the truck until this morning. Damn Alternator is making horrible noises, smoking, stinks something horrible and my DIC reads Battery not charging.... If i didnt have bad luck I would have no luck at all. Now I have to do the job again due to a faulty alternator. Dont these things go thru a testing procedure before they are shipped out?

Has your concern been resolved? Feel free to contact me as well if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

These posts are legit, just so everybody is aware. Tricia is here to help.

Good to know that Tricia is legit.... I always see her posting the same comments and thought it was a little weird asking to give her info.

• 4 years later...

Did a new alt. solve your issue? I'm having similar issue with my 04. A could of days ago it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The DIC said not charging. Once the motor warmed and i buoyed the throttle the voltage increased and i drive away. That happened the next few days. Now it will not charge no matter how hard i hit the throttle.I had system checked by autozone and alt, battery and regulator was ok. I changed the belt but still not charge. The battery light comes on when I turn the key on.

Did a new alt. solve your issue? I'm having similar issue with my 04. A could of days ago it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The DIC said not charging. Once the motor warmed and i buoyed the throttle the voltage increased and i drive away. That happened the next few days. Now it will not charge no matter how hard i hit the throttle.I had system checked by autozone and alt, battery and regulator was ok. I changed the belt but still not charge. The battery light comes on when I turn the key on.

Yes the alternator fixed my issue. But I would first charge the battery. this just happened again to me about a month ago. The alternator tested god multiple times then the machine showed it was bad after the 8th time. The 145 Amp alternator will help. DR44G. Autozone is the only place that I have seen carry them.