Voltage issue, comes and goes...

Blown 346

I have recently within the last week had a issue with my voltage in my truck. My voltage normally reads 14 on the cluster, until one day I was playing a cd stopped a stop light and my volatge just went down to 12. The dash lights dimmed etc but not a single hiccup with the truck running. As soon as I hit the gas the voltage went up slightly until I turned the radio down, then it went back to 14 volts. It did this several times and then it didnt.

I went and had the starter, alternator and battery checked and all were fine and working perfectly. I do have a system but nothing big, I have this system for over a year and only now I have this issue. I have a 1000 watt Audiobahn Mono amp, 1 12" Alpine Type R, and a Double Din Pioneer.

The only thing I can think that might be not helping the issue is my belt. When I was having my battery etc checked, I noticed a decent amount of belt dust on the alternator, but no belt cracking, squealing or anything else.

Anyone with ideas as to why now I have this issue?? I only have the problem with one song...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe voltage regulator still internally mounted in the alternator

This is also what I would say. Really only thing I could think of also.

Also when your at an idle your alt is at its lowest amperage and sometime will not charge at all if your rpms dip down to 400 or lower. Therefor your running off strait battery power which sits around 12.4-12.8 not the normal charging system 13.8-14.4. If you were blasting the stereo and sitting at a light for a minute then your likely to see voltage drop like that.

If there is an issue its deff something in the alternator. Running stock 105 still? A nice agm battery would stop that voltage drop at lights.

Edit: void most of above as I just read that last line in your post. That one single song could be clipping extremely bad and clipping draws insane current to that amp and will put a strain on electrical if not efficient enough. Clipping is bad news, especially when there is a lot of it.

That one song have a nasty low note?

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

The truck idles at 700 and never drops below that. Yes I am still on the factory 105 alt. Normally the voltage drop is also immediate after I roll to a stop, on occasion the voltage will start to dip down when Im not on the gas.

Its not that low, it seems like average notes. The song is Fastlane by Eminem. It seems when there is alot of bass back to back when the problem occurs. I have some stuff with very low notes and the volt gauge moves then but I expect that, but never to around 11 or 12 volts.

Wouldnt the Alternator, starter, battery test show a bad regulator since its within the alternator regardless of the stereo not being turned up?? Or could the regulator be working fine until it has that draw on it?? Or would that show a bad regulator / alt regardless from the draw with or without the music? Kind of like a false Positive.

I checked the belt as soon as I saw the dust, the belt looks new still. No cracks, breaks, glazing etc. This is something new as I was just in my engine bay a few weeks ago and there was no sign of belt dust anywhere. is there a way for me to tell that the alternator is actually bad besides the tests I had run that showed it was fine?

Had the electrical system tested again today at another parts store. My battery is listed at 650 CCA and it was only putting out 550. The guy saw the volt meter going from 14,3 to 13.1 back and forth while my headlights, heated seat and radio were going. But his machine said everything checked out ok even though my battery was down 100 CCA.

Do I spend the money on a new Alternator or battery?? I dont have the money for both.

Well you can test ur alternator by putting a meter on it and having someone rev your engine. That would tell you if your getting the right amperage and voltage. If not then replace that shit. Can always swap batterys with someone and see if your issue persists. Or buy a battery, put it in, test the issue, then return it if its not the problem. :P Kinda dick move but people do it and I would deff do it.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I didnt have anyone around to give me a hand today, so I waited for my wife to get home. I removed the alternator and brought to be tested by itself. As soon as I grabbed the pulley the and spun it with its own weight, it make horrible noises. They put it on the machine and it passed 6 times, while it was screaming. The test showed it passed even though it was about to give up anytime. I replaced it with the 145 amp and all is good.

Always speak to soon. I waited to start the truck until this morning. Damn Alternator is making horrible noises, smoking, stinks something horrible and my DIC reads Battery not charging.... If i didnt have bad luck I would have no luck at all. Now I have to do the job again due to a faulty alternator. Dont these things go thru a testing procedure before they are shipped out?