04 4.8L 5MT SC build.

SIXJAK

Hi all this is my build thread. I purchased this truck on Jan 5. It was a clean non smoking truck with 148k miles on it. It took a while to find a 4.8 with a manual. That is what I wanted. I was also open to a GMC but honestly the more I looked at the Chevy, the more I liked the cat eyes. The truck I found had 20" wheels and a Flowmaster weld in. I'm not sure which muffler it is but it sounds pretty good.ymeba5uh.jpgy7ajy2ah.jpgqumegebu.jpgseryqe8u.jpg

First order of business was removing the chrome wheel well trim. Not my taste.asu7a4ug.jpgugy2uba7.jpg

Luckily there wasn't any major corrosion underneath the chrome trim.

I purchased a Magnuson TVS 1900 SC a couple of weeks ago. It was installed in 5.5 hours by Whiteside Customs in McKinney, TX on Superbowl Sundayu5u3yva2.jpge6aqa5e5.jpgdudepasa.jpgatutymen.jpg

I also removed the bumper last Thursday.umyja8um.jpg

I purchased a steel Street Scene roll pan from Summit Racing that is being prepped and painted as I write this by Whiteside Customs.

They are also installing a set of ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's/mid pipe-not my installers first choice he wanted me to go with KOOKS but that's all I can afford at the moment. He has a different name for the Pacesetters lol.

Truck should go on the dyno Thursday or Friday and I'll report back in a few days.

Edited by SIXJAK (see edit history)

Very nice. How is the power on that 4.8? I have always heard the 4.8L sucks as a stock engine, but with some power adders it can be a pretty sweet engine.

I had the 4.8, it was a good engine. Great on gas, ran good, and then Justin from black bear woke it up. And it became better

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Very nice. How is the power on that 4.8? I have always heard the 4.8L sucks as a stock engine, but with some power adders it can be a pretty sweet engine.

With the stick, it stays with a stock v6 Camaro from a dig up to about 70-80 then the wind begins to take its toll.

On hills downshifting into 4th is a must.

Thanks all. Down the road I plan on installing a Corsa side exit catback. I may do a cam and some heads and change out the pulley to up the boost. Would like to have an honest to goodness 500RWHP truck.

Katskin interior SS or RST instrument panel

Full repaint with stripes.

Nice, gotta love the 1900. So are you from MO, or mckinney tx? Mckinney is just on the other side of town from me.

I live in the modding mecca of Branson, MO. LOL. There are so few options in Southwest MO. I know the owner of Whiteside Customs and I'm on a short tour right now that went through McKinney so I dropped off my truck this past Sat evening. He installs 4-6 Maggie's a month and has it down to a science. He sent me pics and a short video at 2:34 PM on Sunday showing the SC running. I'm giggin in AZ right now and then swinging back through Dallas on Fri and them picking up my truck on Sunday.

Edited by SIXJAK (see edit history)

The truck was dyno'd yesterday on a Dynojet 248 and the numbers have me scratching my head a little.

Baseline numbers were:

170RWHP

157RWTQ

Those just seem pathetically low. Like 6 cylinder low. Don't most of these 4.8's put out around 220 or so RWHP?

Post blower numbers:

313RWHP

358RWTQ

My installer explained that this particular Dynojet consistently reads about 10-15HP lower than others and that my wheel/tire combo is responsible for another 20-30 HP loss.

Does this sound right?

At any rate I picked up 143RWHP and 201RWTQ. The Maggie TVS1900 more than doubled my TQ.

I don't have the graphs yet but when I do get them, I'll post them up.

I'm picking it up on Sunday morning and driving it home from McKinney back to MO. Sunday evening I'll post up some driving impressions and maybe take some video.

My goal is a solid 500RWHP so it looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Cam

Heads

Pulley swap

And a different Dyno ha ha.

That is all for now.