This is my 2006 Silverado 1500 LT with the L33 5.3L Vortec, 4L60E trans, Volant CAI, and Cortex Superchips Tune.

post-24894-0-74276700-1360034214_thumb.jpg

(on lift, not actual level.)

Last year about this time my transmission bit the dust. my 2-4 split had seen better days. Although i know exactly why it went ;). Anyways I have had a need for speed and am wanting to make my silverado a pony pusher. I eventually want to get a cam but still havent decided. But i saw on summit racing some shift kits for my truck and didn't know what was good and what wasn't. And I also have looked at a stall York 3000, I think(it has been a while since i last looked). I was wondering if this is; A. nessicary, and; B worth the money.

a shift kit can benefit you with better take offs. But then I would look into building a trans, stock trannys dont like converters. The I would upgrade the trans cooler if you have one.

The question is how big of cam can u get with a stock tranny?

It all depends on if your only doing a cam. Power levels are always increased with other bolt ones like cylinder heads, intakes headers etc. You can add a cam but just throwing one that sounds good wont always get you power. You can actually hurt performance with a cam thats too big.

Basically you can get the largest cam you can fit in the motor, it just all depends on the power that cam will make. Adding a cam you have to think about future mods and what you have now for you to really benefit and see power of that so called cam.

It all depends on if your only doing a cam. Power levels are always increased with other bolt ones like cylinder heads, intakes headers etc. You can add a cam but just throwing one that sounds good wont always get you power. You can actually hurt performance with a cam thats too big.

Basically you can get the largest cam you can fit in the motor, it just all depends on the power that cam will make. Adding a cam you have to think about future mods and what you have now for you to really benefit and see power of that so called cam.

How about 220/220 or 240/220 cam. I want the same idle as my 80 chev and with a little more horse.