Performance parts for transfer case

My uncle does transmissions and I just had my Trans rebuilt/beefed up and he said the only real problem with the transfer cases is something inside flexes and overtime it rubes a hole in the casting/case. So he takes them apart checks everything out and installs some sort of plate inside to prevent that. Maybe that helps u.

this is true, mine did this, wore a small hole in it, and I went ahead and got a new transfer case from GM, got the truck back last week, but they put in GM fluid Auto Trak ll said it was better then the dexron 3.

I wouldn't assume that you abuse the truck, but if you are spending the money to go to an 80E it must be for a reason and the only good reason would be that you make a ton of power and plan to make use of it. One thing I can add to the issue of upgrades since it is going to be apart is the Sonnax transfercase upgrade 100246-02K. This is designed to fix the problem with the transfercase that actually creates the wear in the housing to make it leak. On the side of the fluid thing, the autotrak fluid is great, but in the 149 case it is no better for it than dexron 3 since it never touches any clutch material. The autotrak fluid is designed as a dexron 3 with a friction modifier in it to help it be a great lubricant for the bearings and yet allow the clutch's to work better without sticking in low pressure situations. The autotrak transfercases use normal automatic transmission style clutches in them to apply the front driveshaft/output shaft. They don't get as much fluid moving over them in low speed situations which is where the friction modifier that they add in helps which also makes them release better so that they aren't stuck together from being too hot. Either way GM actually makes a fluid called manual transfercase fluid which is just a revised Dex 3 that they specificly recomend for manual transmissions, manual transfercases, and transfercases with viscous couplers in them. The transfercase in the SSS doesn't have normal clutches in there and when everything is working correctly the fluid for the coupler will never mix with the transfercase fluid making the fluid only responsible for cooling the coupler and lubricating the parts.

• 2 months later...