AWD dyno in Alaska

Akslowroller

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man. I just came across this and you guys had me pretty excited! Too bad. There is another guy with a trailer mounted dyno. He has had it at the Palmer track the few times I was there. I'm kinda hesitant about pulling the front shaft. So I didn't try it.

Yeah. I've heard horror stories of pulling the front shaft and roasting the Tcase. Plus, I doubt the numbers will be accurate. Close, but probably not correct.

All the power goes to the rear wheels when you pull the front driveshaft so its fairly accurate.

I think they are accurate. You just have to follow some rules. I can't remember all of them but the main one that sticks in my head is not to hit the brakes on the decel. Let the dyno slow the drivetrain down.

To much risk for me. I really don't care the actual hp number. I know my track times. And I am happy with my truck. Funny how everyone always asks, "how much hp you got?". I have no idea.

You going to take me for a rip someday when we have pavement again?

Lol. Anytime. Just give me a shout. I can take you for a ride now. Then you can hear what it sounds like. And how little turbo lag there really is.

Well, we can always do a meet up this summer and brag up our trucks. We should really do a group trip down to the palmer drags. Buying about 75gallons of premium fuel for the weekend isnt fun, but im dying to go. Ive never been! we can all wear our SSS.com t-shirts.

:peelout:

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Yeah. Itd be nice to know what im doing on the tuning side of things, so i can really dial it in on test and tune days. Ive never been passed a base tune from Zippy. I might pick up HP Tuners and do my research. I know i could get so much more out of this truck with a live tune. Especially with a tune for the methanol.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Well. I can help with that. If you want. I don't have much experience with a maf tune but i do ok with speed density. I have hpt also if you want to just do some logging and send to zippy. I have the pro version if you have a wideband also.

Okay yeah. I may do some logging and give zippy an idea of where its at. Is this what you have done in the past? How many times did you have to log data, send it out, retune, etc. to zero it in? I wouldnt even be sure which PIDs to monitor. I do have wideband so no problem there. I think an SD tune would be sweet. Not too sure of the benefits. Just consistancy? Ive got a 3 bar MAP sensor that came with the truck if i ever decided to switch.

How much boost are you running? I only went with a 2bar tune because there is a gm map sensor that fits right in the stock location and is easy to get in town. I think the resolution on your map file might be reduced on the three bar map from the two bar map also. Not positive though.

I have used both zippy and Wheatley for tunes. They have both done me an excellent job! I have a pretty good cfg. file that is good for tuning. I think the sd tune is easier to tune with boost. You have an extra map for positive map pressure and not just "pe" enrichment.

It really just matters on how well you hit all your cells in different driving conditions(loads).

I am NO expert. I have done a lot on mine with guidance from some very good guys on here and I have learned Alot! They are always willing to help.

Yeah. This forum is a great place for information and guidance. I myself would like to start learning how to read and alter performance tunes. Im running about 8lbs of boost. The new build has a CR of 10.44 (according to Summit's compression calculator). Im already pushing the radix to the max and wont be buying a TVS anytime soon, so i didnt bother getting dished pistons this time around. I wanted to keep as much natural power as possible, then stack boost on top. Didnt wanna lose power or create unneccessary lag. But when i do get a bigger blower, itll go on the 408. I already have everything to build it, minus the crank. So ill be putting that together slowly on the side in the mean time. But with the 408 ill be dropping CR drastically of course.

As far as the tune, im curious how to adjust the tune for methanol injection to get the most out of it. I think the max CR for pump gas is 12, not sure what the max is for premium. I will hit 11.9 at 5lbs of boost. So i think i should start spraying at 4psi or so to carry me safely through 8psi? Still gotta do my research on the meth kit programming. Im sure you know more about it than i do. Zippy said "ill be fine as long as i use premium gas. He said he has worked on Radix motors with 11+ CR so i wont have a problem with 10.44." But im sure i can get a power boost with meth as well as lowering IATs, if i set it up right.

Heres the formula i used for CR under boost

Square root((PSI of boost+14.7)/14.7)*CR=CR under boost

My case at max PSI

square root((8+14.7)/14.7)*10.44=12.9 CR under boost

I have been running around 12-13 psi for a few years now. My cr is 8.8. I have my meth turn on at 8 psi and max at 10. As I setup my meth where you want it to come on and work. You do a run and check your afr. If you are rich you can start backing down your ve table at the cell with the meth. I have gotten mine within 5% under boost at 11.2afr. I feel safe there because we have such crappy fuel here. I can tell when I get bad premium. And to add to it, we only get 90 octane fuel. That was the only reason I decided to start running meth. Which I have an unlimited amount of. Just let me know if you need some.

I have never know that formula but it is interesting. I think you have a good idea for your cr on the next motor. I think I would prefer around 9.5 on my next setup. I didn't think my compression would be as bad as it is. BUT, you should feel how the boost comes on. Wow it is Awsome. Now that I got a good converter, it has really come to life. It really builds boost right where my verter flashes too.

I would love to do a 408. That's what Danny put in his pro charger SS in north pole. The red on. His cr is 9.65 and even out of boost(he ran the motor for 3k without the blower) his motor was super strong. It's fun to ride in. Lol sounds badass!!