So I am planning on swapping to a 4L80e and a guy is selling a built one, but it has a stand alone ECM and wiring. So I am wondering if this is a good way to go or not. Also if I did go this route would the transmission Temp Gauge work or would I have to do something to get it to work. Any info would be great. Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i wouldn't do a stand alone ECM with the wiring. I'd just use your factory wiring and add the second speed senor and have it retuned. its that easy. the wiring is super simple no joke.. all you have to do its swap one wire on the transmission harness and add the second speed sensor wire thats it with electrical. your temp gauge will work just fine. the 4l80 swap was one of the easiest mod's i have ever done. if you can swap transmission you can do the swap.

I did this swap by myself and I had never done a swap like this before. I didn't have one issue and it took me less than 10 hrs from start to finish doing this on my garage floor with no lift.

it took longer for the driveshaft shop to build my driveshafts then it took to do this swap.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Personally i wouldn't do a stand alone ECM with the wiring. I'd just use your factory wiring and add the second speed senor and have it retuned. its that easy. the wiring is super simple no joke.. all you have to do its swap one wire on the transmission harness and add the second speed sensor wire thats it with electrical. your temp gauge will work just fine. the 4l80 swap was one of the easiest mod's i have ever done. if you can swap transmission you can do the swap.

I did this swap by myself and I had never done a swap like this before. I didn't have one issue and it took me less than 10 hrs from start to finish doing this on my garage floor with no lift.

it took longer for the driveshaft shop to build my driveshafts then it took to do this swap.

Were does the second speed sensor get wired too. Were did you get the info to do this? thanks.

Were does the second speed sensor get wired too. Were did you get the info to do this? thanks.

it gets wired into the ECU harness. its quite easy. all you have to do is get the second speed sensor wire and just install the pins into the harness you will be working with the green side of the ECU harness. you will be installing these 2 wires from the speed sensor into red and blue into the 22 and 23 pins in the factory harness.

you just have to poke a hole in the little rubber deals and run the wires through.

IMG_8242.jpg

like so poke your holes here with a pinning tool.

IMG_6090.jpg

heres what the end of your speed sensor looks like. you need to install these into the holes.

IMG_6081.jpg

like so

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

heres what the speed sensor looks like. i got mine from a spare engine harness i had laying around.

IMG_6082.jpg

4l60 transmissions has only one speed sensor. where the 4l80 has 2.

I should just make a sticky about this. i have sent so many members this over the last year on how to do the swap. really its a super easy swap. but i guess its all depends on your skill level. i have never went to any type auto training classes. i have just thought myself this stuff over the years by doing tons of research and just hopping in a getting my hands dirty.

if you need more help with this i can email everything step by step. im out tonight got to get up a 5am.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

I should just make a sticky about this. i have sent so many members this over the last year on how to do the swap. really its a super easy swap. but i guess its all depends on your skill level. i have never went to any type auto training classes. i have just thought myself this stuff over the years by doing tons of research and just hopping in a getting my hands dirty.

if you need more help with this i can email everything step by step. im out tonight got to get up a 5am.

Thats Awsome. Very Helpful and easy. So then do you have to get anything done to the ecm? Also do you know the gauge of wiring they used incase I have to make my own wiring. Thanks for everything

Thats Awsome. Very Helpful and easy. So then do you have to get anything done to the ecm? Also do you know the gauge of wiring they used incase I have to make my own wiring. Thanks for everything

all you have to do is get a retune for the transmission. I just called my tuner and he just sent me a new tune that we had to load and that was it. the only things that needs to be done for the electrical part of the 4l80 swap is to add the second speed sensor then you have to swap around one wire on the transmission harness and get a retune. you can run your factory ECM. thats all you need to do. the rest is all just the transmission swap part.

heres a list of the things you need for the swap.

4 wheel drive 4l80e

4l80e dipstick tube.

4l80e converter

second speed sensor wire.

you will need the t-case shaft from timetokill on here. or you can also get a turned down 4l80 outputshaft from other tenders.

i'd personally go with timetokill t-case shaft.

older lq4 flexplate with a spacer or you can buy just the spacer and use your factory flex plate.

different transmission cross member or modify your factory cross member. i just modified my stock one.

longer transmission cooler lines or just switch to a flex press lock line with a AN fittings.

the you will have to have your rear driveshaft shortened and your front driveshaft will have to be a bit longer.

im pretty sure thats it. if you piece this kit together you can go about it chaep. i have something like $2400.00 into the entire swap and I bought a nice converter. i went with a circle D billet converter which will like $1200 alone so that was half the swap cost. i got my 4l80 from the junk yard for $400. then just pieced everything else together.

on the transmission harness. you will need to tear it down. it looks like this.

IMG_8201.jpg

you will need to pop this is little cover deal off. like so.

IMG_8215.jpg

the insides will look like so.

IMG_8224.jpg

on the back side of the harness you will want to find the dark brown wire which is (wire U) in this picture then you will want to find the white wire which is (wire S) in this picture. you will need to unpin both of these wires

IMG_8213.jpg

after getting these unpinned they should look like this.

IMG_8228.jpg

with both of these wires out now you will take the dark brown wire that came from hole U on the harness and now install it in the hole S that you removed the white wire from in the step before this. like so

IMG_8231.jpg

now you don't even use the white wire that you removed for the harness. either clip it off or tape it back, i just bent it over and used a piece on heat shrink and tired it off to the side

like so then i just heat shrinked it.

IMG_8234.jpg

now just put the harness back together. your all done with the electrical part of the swap.

Great info, I already have the transfer case input coming from timetokill. What rpm of stall torrque converter are you running? I was planning on at lease a 3000

Im turboed so i went with a 3200-3400 stall. so i can build boost that i want.

Yeah I am running a Turbo set up as well, and was going to go either 3200 or 3500. Is there any certain year transmission that won't work for this? A guy is selling a built transmission that was for a 1998 that got wrecked before he put it in, so just wondering if it will work. Thanks for all your help!