Most common question in the world! What cam to go with and what el

I have been doing a lot of reading and research. Trying to figure out which one is best for me.

I am not trying to get really high HP, if anything a little gas mileage improvement might work for me as well!

Right now the truck is damn bone stock lol... Which saddens me cause I dont have a ton of money to pour into it for what I want.

But on to the topic.

My main goal for the cam is to get the great sound that everyone loves, I like the good lope but it needs to be a good DD.

I was originally thinking of going with a 222/224 .566/.568 112LSA but seems like people are saying its a small cam. I like the sound of a 232/234 but it seems a bit much.

I want a big sound but I dont wanna have to do 3000$ of extra crap to it. (Injectors, e fans, tcooler, shift kit)

I was just gonna do headers, cai, tc, catback, e cutouts(maybe, heard they can cause probs), and a tune(still working who i should go to out)

But other than that, I would like a cam that would destroy my gas mileage. since I already get like 14mpg....

All helpful tips and information would be awesome.

You have to pay to play with these trucks. Cai, headers, exhaust, and tune is the best bang for your buck. All these mods that we do on these trucks aren't real cheap. But performance comes at a price money and gas milage lol.

You have to pay to play with these trucks. Cai, headers, exhaust, and tune is the best bang for your buck. All these mods that we do on these trucks aren't real cheap. But performance comes at a price money and gas milage lol.

X2

"Small" cams can perform very good on a dd and also be fuel friendly if mated to the right set-up. The mods in my sig net me cruising at 60mph a avg of 17.2mpg and in town driving a little under 15. This also comes from taking time on my tune. My dash display is almost right on with every re-fuel and average that I calculate. As mentioned above you do have to pay to play.

How hard is it to install headers and exhaust yourself on these trucks? And I like the sound of e-cutouts but I have heard that they can suck cold air into your engine and really do some damage. But I want a good sounding exhaust when the cutouts wouldnt be open!

I work on the Marine Corps air station and we have access to all sorts of tools and a hydraulic lift. Where we can do out own maintanence. I would be able to do all the installs besides cam, myself I just have never done stuff like that before.

Ive read a lot about pacesetter lts, and dynatech, but seems like pacesetter is way cheaper. exhaust I like magnaflow sound but cant find the right model or series.

and Cold air intakes, I am guessing Volant.

Does your tr224 have a good lope and sound to it? Any sound clips?

You can do all your own work. If your machanically inclined. Take your time and it's all fairly simple. I did my pacesetters at home. If you get them I would say cutoff about 3 inches of the header and weld on flanges. Cai is real easy. I also want to do e cut outs. I have magnaflow exhaust myself and no cats. It's pretty loud now. If you get a header like pacesetters you have to have a custom exhaust done it won't bolt up to stock.

Won't see the full potential without a tune. For max Hp output potential. Stick with stainless if possible. Headers will last much longer and my borla's sound decent. Check out rotofab intakes and do a search on Cai. I think they just did a dyno run on different intake setups.