PCM tuning

15SilveradoSS

ok so i have a couple of questions. i live in Alberta and i was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in Alberta that does custom PCM tuning, if not is a mail order tune good? because from what ive been reading a live tune is the way to go, but i don't want to drive 1300 KM for a tune haha.

What part of alberta are you from? me and canadianvrss both have mail order tunes from wheatley and they kick some serious ass. I have had mine for over a year probably and have had no problems.

Me and canadianvrss are from Edmonton, there's a couple other guys on here from Edmonton as well.

Pretty truck, Mason. Thought a bout removing the front plate hardware?

I've had no trouble with the tune I got from Zippy. He, and I am sure a few other tuners associated with this board, have enough experience with these trucks to give you good results with a mildly modded truck. If I were to do extensive power adding mods, I would at least consider meeting up face to face with my tuner, but until then I am confident going this long distance route.

ya man i want that front plate off! i just havent gotten to it yet! ok so i guess an order tune is the way to go since theres nowhere local to go. i live in drumheller alberta.

also does it matter when i get the tune? should i do it after a CAI and headers and such? or does wheatly do re tuning for free?

Wheatley re tunes for free yes as long as it's not a retune to add boost or nitrous. It depends. You will see results from the tune no matter what mods you have, but if you're planning on getting the CAI and headers in the near future, you may as well tune for them now, and put the tune in once you put the headers in. The CAI doesn't really matter for the tune, but adding headers does, especially if you delete the cats.

the following is taken from a pinned topic in the pcm tuning section, hope it helps:

Everyone seems to be a little scared over a mail order tune, or maybe just discounts it when compared to a dyno tune. A good tuner should have no problem not only getting your truck running good on the first mail order tune but also getting it tweaked in perfect within a couple of more if it even needs it. If you have logging software everything gets easier for the tuner to really tweak in the fine points. A in person or dyno tune is.....nice to know your truck was tuned by someone who could see if there was any problems or things he can tweak better, but your not going to see a huge hp increase to offset the cost of the dyno....maybe 5 hp up top, but maybe better driveability if the tuner works on the whole ve/timing table, not just the WOT areas that make him look good.

For example stroked out ss's truck has not been tuned in person and its a tvs2300 408. My truck has been dyno tuned but that was a bunch of mods ago and now is back to email tuning, 2bfast's procharged truck has not been tuned in person and runs great....when he drives it.

On the other side of the question, is a tune a good idea for a truck with no mods. I can only relate this to what i saw with my truck, i had a CAI that produced no better et's at the track(come on a CAI means no mods). When it was tuned, the truck went from 15.0-15.1's to 14.5.

or are you asking if a tune is good idea for a truck that has been tuned by someone else and now has no more mods since it has been tuned? Every one thinks their tuner is better then everyone else's and you need to draw your own opinion from what you read and results that are posted up from other members. We were going to add the tuners name to the ET list to make this more clear, but the mods are very busy guys so be patient and I'm sure we will see this, especially with the new owners asking about which tuner to use.

If your looking for a way to help a tuner help you, pick up a logging sotware. I use HP tuners because thats what my tuner prefers, efi live is also available and the choice of a couple other tuners on this site. You don't have to buy the full tuner package(although email tunes can save cost and lots of time), just the logging software will help your tuner out.

By the way...the trucks i mentioned are all Zippy tuned trucks :coold:

Some of the tuners on this site are, but not limited to:

Zippy

Blackbear

Wheatley

CHPspecial

and i think Krambo is doing some tunes for guys in his area if your an East cost guy

Check out guys sig, and you'll get an idea of what we are using

:withstupid: and would like to add that the professional tuners usually have tuned all different types of set up on a dyno, therefore, mail order tunes are going to be fairly accurate. It is not like they are tuning completely blind. I have ran into some "dyno" tunes that drove like crap at part throttle and only woke up at WOT.

• 1 month later...

the most used on here are HP tuners and EFI live, there are others but most use those. Unless your going to blaze your own trail and learn tuning all on your own, i would ask what your curent or future tuner is using and buy that software. For example, zippy uses HP tuners but black bear uses EFI live.

Search those names on the internet to find the best price for the one you choose to go with

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

• 9 months later...