Cold Air Intake

Marvin

I agree with above. The CAI works best with the aluminum piping as it dissipates heat alot better tha plastic and it looks better.

I was told the aluminum tubes absorb more heat and the plastic dissapates it better. I know K&N will verify their plastic tube unit makes a more of a hp gain than the aluminum version. The aluminum sure is pretty though!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told the aluminum tubes absorb more heat and the plastic dissapates it better. I know K&N will verify their plastic tube unit makes a more of a hp gain than the aluminum version. The aluminum sure is pretty though!

Have you ever seen plastic used as heat sink... or aluminum used as insulation??? food for thought

• 2 weeks later...

Just found some em, price is a steal. Are they good though?

i havent had a problem with mine, its identical to the AEM brute force. its a dry filter set up. had mine for 3 years now and i've ran it in literally -40C (which is -40F) through nasty cold and hot underhood temps the rubber joints are still fine. couldn't be happier for a CAI set up thats based on (pretty much identical) a proven design for under $70 shipped to Canada. Winning!

i havent had a problem with mine, its identical to the AEM brute force. its a dry filter set up. had mine for 3 years now and i've ran it in literally -40C (which is -40F) through nasty cold and hot underhood temps the rubber joints are still fine. couldn't be happier for a CAI set up thats based on (pretty much identical) a proven design for under $70 shipped to Canada. Winning!

I was thinking of thowing a k&n on there but not to sure lol, need to get another truck first freaking durango has zero coolness level haha

• 7 months later...

Have you ever seen plastic used as heat sink... or aluminum used as insulation??? food for thought

Exactly the reason you don't want an aluminum intake tube. Aluminum transfers engine bay heat to the intake charge rushing through the inside of the tube. Plastic insulates the intake charge. Their is still some heat transfer but not as much as aluminum.

i was doing a research and i found on summit racing an intake called vararam vr6 ram air suppose to gain about 25 to 35 hp????

Any company selling performance parts, there are things they dont tell you.

This is.....

You need to have other modifications to have the part work at its fullest and to gain the power that is stated. Throwing in a Cold air will not yield the HP gains they say. Unless you have the vehicle tuned for the mod and or add to it to have it work to its full potential. Yes you will have a HP gain but not what they tell you.

Exactly the reason you don't want an aluminum intake tube. Aluminum transfers engine bay heat to the intake charge rushing through the inside of the tube. Plastic insulates the intake charge. Their is still some heat transfer but not as much as aluminum.

Aluminum dissipates heat alot better which is why heat sinks for electronics are used. If you have a shield like most intakes do, that will keep all the engine bay heat away from the Air filter. Plastic on the other hand will absorb heat and hold it alot longer than Aluminum will. That is depending on how thick the aluminum is, but who has a half inch thick intake tube.

I have a Aluminum Cold Air with a black Powder coated surround away from the filter. The color black will not retain as much heat. Hence why Transmissions and normally painted black. My Intake after a few hours of driving is cool to the touch. I would like to see how much the temp goes up from my intake being ice cold to after driving awhile... I will post back after I measure the temp changes tomorrow with my infrared thermometer. I will measure the intake tube, the air filter, and the powder coated metal surround.

I will also measure the plastic intake cover on my wifes vehicle to see what works better.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Just got back from a fire call, my vehicle was at operating temperature.

Truck cold sitting for over a day not moving.

Filter was at 50.0 degrees

Aluminum tube was at 46.0 degrees

Metal surround was at 44.0 degrees

After driving.

Filter was at 41.8 degrees

Aluminum Tube was at 43.4 degrees

Metal surround was at 45.9 degrees

I saw the filter itself drop temperature by 8.2 degrees

The aluminum tube temperature went down by 2.6 degrees

The Metal surround increased temperature by 1.9 degrees

• 1 year later...