Mild Head/Cam Combo

is it worth the hassle?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is this head/cam combo a good option?

• Yes
    • Not bad for the money
    • Don't bother

I have a friend looking for more power everywhere out of his SS without breaking the bank.

I was thinking an 02+ Z06 top end might be a decent option. The cam is good for a few ponies while keeping it real mild (i know this leaves power on the table, but not a bad option for a mild set up), and the heads will do the same. Its more cam than comes in the LS2, and that combo along with a different intake is worth 50HP over our LQ9. I gotta figure if he swaps intakes too this could be worth upwards of 65 HP over the stock parts (heads, cam, and intake), slightly more with a good tune. If its making 405 HP in a 5.7 wouldnt it make more on a 6.0??

Am I way off here? Is he better off just getting a cam for the LQ9? I was thinking this could be a good option because for around $500 he could have the cam and heads with springs. I dont think there would be any other parts he needs? I assumed the stock pushrods can handle the increased seat pressure of the Z06 springs, right?

What started me thinking this way was riding in a LQ9 Sierra Denali like mine that had the Lingenfelter GT2-3 in it. There were no headers and the cam/tune was pretty much the only mod. This truck still ran really strong. I just assumed that very similar performance could be had out of the LS6 cam, and even more with the heads, for a bargain price. Add some headers to this mix and you have a serious sleeper.

If you guys really feel there are options out there that will outperform the cam I'm all ears too. Just remember, I have a tight budget in mind here, and love all the positive qualities of a stock cam, but want more power. If we're making suggestions a little chop at idle wouldnt be the worst thing in the world :jester:

Thanks for your help/input guys

Heads - yes, the stock 02 LS6 cam - NO. The cam is so mild, you can get much more out of a more aggressive profile and still have the same street manners. The stock 02 LS6 cam is good for boost though with its high lift and no + overlap.

Just an opinion... :pepsicheer:

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Thanks Krambo,

This is the feedback I'm lookin for. There is a mild Pat G cam for sale on another forum I'm getting info on as we speak too. Slightly more aggressive and I think it would be a great fit.

Is anyone familiar with the comp XE lobes? With about .560 lift would the LS6 springs be able to handle this or are the ramp rates too aggressive?

Thanks

I've seen this swap done before and it is a very good power gain on a 6.0L. I've tuned and dyno'd that setup. There are certainly better options out there, but if you were to get the parts at a good deal I'd say go for it. Tuning is very critical though as the compression is really boosted and to get everything out of it you really need everything working for you. Personally I'd rather use those heads with a slightly more agressive cam, but the LS6 cam is hard to be for how smooth it runs. I'd go for 243's with a 216/220 or a 222/224 range cam on a 112 or 114LSA for more torque if it were my choice.

I've seen this swap done before and it is a very good power gain on a 6.0L. I've tuned and dyno'd that setup. There are certainly better options out there, but if you were to get the parts at a good deal I'd say go for it. Tuning is very critical though as the compression is really boosted and to get everything out of it you really need everything working for you. Personally I'd rather use those heads with a slightly more agressive cam, but the LS6 cam is hard to be for how smooth it runs. I'd go for 243's with a 216/220 or a 222/224 range cam on a 112 or 114LSA for more torque if it were my choice.

Thanks Zippy. I would have thought there was decent power potential too... but I understand there are much better options out there.

Zippy if you had to make a recommendation for specific cam that would work great with the 243's and LS6 springs what would it be? Would this trick flow cam work with the LS6 springs, or would it be pushing the limit?

TFS-30602002

I know you like these truck flow cams. If I can use the stock LS6 springs would the stock push rods work too?

I feel like a cam that size with the added compression/power of the heads would make even more bottom end power than the stock LQ9 set up... I could be wrong there though.