Transmission Stops Shifting When Warmed Up

I have an 06 silverado ss and currently have a transmission problem. At start up truck runs normal shifts through all the gears but once it starts to warm up it slips and stops in-gauging any gears. If I park it and wait it will run fine again. It doesn't take long before this happens again and the tranny doesn't get all that high in temperture before this starts happening. The ss has only 63000 miles no modes other than cold air kit and magnaflow duals. Is this a simple fix?

I have an 06 silverado ss and currently have a transmission problem. At start up truck runs normal shifts through all the gears but once it starts to warm up it slips and stops in-gauging any gears. If I park it and wait it will run fine again. It doesn't take long before this happens again and the tranny doesn't get all that high in temperture before this starts happening. The ss has only 63000 miles no modes other than cold air kit and magnaflow duals. Is this a simple fix?

This could be easy or major.

Its possible a lot of trash in the fluid plugging up the filters not allowing proper fluid hydraulics to engage foward motion. As the truck sits the trash settles. There are small filters that snap into the seperator plate between the case and valve body. Depending on what you find at the bottom of the pan will determine if you need to remove the valve body and check these. Its common practice with performance transmissions to drill tiny holes in the tops of these filters to keep from plugging and installing tiny springs to keep from collapsing causing this issue you talk about.

A better possibility would be a shift solenoid. Do you have access to a Tech II scanner? If this is the case it will log a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) but not an SES (service engine soon). I would lean more towards this. If you can get access to a Tech II I would start here first

Also what are your temperatures you talk about?

Do you have access to a manual pump pressure gauge?

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

This could be easy or major.

Its possible a lot of trash in the fluid plugging up the filters not allowing proper fluid hydraulics to engage foward motion. As the truck sits the trash settles.

Drop the pan and report back with your findings at the bottom of the pan. There are small filters that snap into the seperator plate between the case and valve body. Depending on what you find at the bottom of the pan will determine if you need to remove the valve body and check these. Its common practice with performance transmissions to drill tiny holes in the tops of these filters to keep from plugging and installing tiny springs to keep from collapsing causing this issue you talk about.

Another possibility would be a shift solenoid. Do you have access to a Tech II scanner? If this is the case it will log a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) but not an SES (service engine soon). I would lean more towards this.

Also what are your temperatures you talk about?

Do you have access to a manual pump pressure gauge?

I was thinking shift solenoid as when the truck had 45000 miles it had a different tranny problem. During that time I was driving down the road and the transmission slipped but I was able to manually change gears with no problem just drive wouldn't work. The dealer took it apart flushed the system and changed a solenoid then. What I meant about the temperature gauge on the tranny was that after its gone up a few notches is when I start having shift issues. I will check the tranny in a few minutes and will report back. Thanks for the info. I don't have a manual pump pressure gauge were can I find one that will only be a one time use?

Well it looks like I dodged a bullet as now that I did the fluid change it seems the ss seems to be riding just fine. The only thing I don't understand is why did I have to get a filter gasket set for a 2007 silverado with a sixteen bolt tranny and not the seventeen bolt filter gasket set as specified by your local autoparts?