Turbo Or T-Trim Vortech

Right now I am running a 408 with a maggie only making 5 lbs of boost with a 2.7 pulley. I want some more boost and to run 11s with no nitrous.

This is not something that is gonna happen real soon since we just bought a new vortech for the wifes ride, but after riding in chases truck i got the bug bad. I really want a front mount turbo but dont know shit about what other supporting mods i will need or an idea what kind of turbo. What kind of price range for a custom turbo setup would be fair? I could sell the maggie for $2000 that would recoup some cost.

Then there is the vortech t-trim which would get me where I want to be at and already got pricing on it but I cant get over how badass those turbos sound.

Any help and input on turbos like what brand, size, twins vs. single and how much it should cost approx. for entire setup and supporting mods.

Thanks guys.

Greg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude look at the kb setups, thats the type of front mount i want to EVENTUALLY buy... his work and quality is pretty good and plenty of guys are rocking his kits, there's a good amount of guys over on pt.net that are running his kits...

here's the guys email [email protected], he seems to have really good customer service... plenty of guys from around the country have given good feedback on him... he goes as kbracing96 on pt.net, link to kit sale on pt: http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=475786 ...

there also trick performance turbo kits, here's the site: http://www.shop.trickperformanceproducts.com/main.sc ... link to kit sale on pt: http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=477390 ...

hope this helps homie, if it does u owe me a ride when u get it all handled :fingersx::peelout: ...

-Rob

I am not totally against the TVS idea but it still would be a pretty expensive project with the jackshaft and 8 rib setup.

How much boost would the 2300 make on a 408 approx?

I love the sound of those turbos and can't get over it.

Thanks for the link rob :pepsicheer:

Edited by ANGRYGREG (see edit history)

IMHO, you already know what a positive displacement supercharger feels like, A TVS2300 would feel the same and should give you the power you need to run the times you want. Before jumping ship to a front mount, or centrifugal supercharger, wait until your wifes vortech is installed. Then see how you like the power delivery. You know now how a turbo feels like so keep that in mind. Get a feel for all three then make you decision. Until then it will just be a popularity contest and we already know who wins that. At the end of the day its your truck.

As far as the KB kit or the low end Trick kits, I would not consider a turbo kit that does not provide equal backpressure to both bank. I know they are inexpensive kits and they work, but the work load on one bank compared to other is insane. A proper kit is like the one Spooling has, but that was not cheap.

As far as the KB kit or the low end Trick kits, I would not consider a turbo kit that does not provide equal backpressure to both bank.

interesting. I would like to see the backpressure differance on the Log set ups.

I know Supersub has similar c.i. and blower...and you are right its not gonna be cheap.

if money wasn't an option i would do a big turbo set up to feed that 408, second i would do a procharger d1 or even f1 if you got the extra coin for a cog set up it would be beastly!! only reason i say pro over vortech is because i dont like the whole air to water cooling, it doesn't make sense unless you have a ice box but then even how long does the ice last>? 1 run down the track if your lucky then your relying on air to cool your water anyway so it just seems like a bunch of extra weight thats not necessary that a big front mount intercooler cant fix anyway. so any way i vote good turbo set up , then f1 if money isn't a problem , if your on a budget d1 with custom front mount intercooler set up would be the way i would go . like what was stated above wait till you get your wifes kit put on and youll see what the cent. s/c's are all about then you can go from there. either way you go i think you'll be getting to your goal peelout.gif

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

IMHO, you already know what a positive displacement supercharger feels like, A TVS2300 would feel the same and should give you the power you need to run the times you want. Before jumping ship to a front mount, or centrifugal supercharger, wait until your wifes vortech is installed. Then see how you like the power delivery. You know now how a turbo feels like so keep that in mind. Get a feel for all three then make you decision. Until then it will just be a popularity contest and we already know who wins that. At the end of the day its your truck.

As far as the KB kit or the low end Trick kits, I would not consider a turbo kit that does not provide equal backpressure to both bank. I know they are inexpensive kits and they work, but the work load on one bank compared to other is insane. A proper kit is like the one Spooling has, but that was not cheap.

Thanks for the reply Rey. I really want a turbo and for now I am just trying to learn more about it. What kit does spoolin have? How much was his kit. I am really not understanding the equal backpressure part in your post. When i do this i dont want it to be half ass. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Rey. I really want a turbo and for now I am just trying to learn more about it. What kit does spoolin have? How much was his kit. I am really not understanding the equal backpressure part in your post. When i do this i dont want it to be half ass. Thanks again.

IIRC Spoolin's kit was pieced together and just the pipes alone where more than a complete intercooled KB kit. However, if you will notice, it is built as balaced as possible. meaning that all eight cylinders see the same amount of backpressure, and therefore do the same amount of work at all times. His Waste Gate location is ideal to vent all cylinder when it opens. The KB kits and the cheaper Trick kits have the waste gate at the rear cross over pipe. when that WG opens, only the four drivers side cylinders vent to the exhaust stream, and the passanger side continue to see the increase of backpressure from the turbo. At this point the passenger side bank is in charge of maintaining the turbo spooled up. Not only that but at that point, the passanger side bank is doing more work than the drivers. There is a big debate wheather this make any difference or not, but even Formula 1 got away from log manifold faster than they appeared. IMHO, this is also why when a back to back test was done, with comparable sized kits, an STS kit our performed the Trick kit boost-for-boost. That same trick kit was then received a turbo upgrade and boost increase, it was then that it out performed the STS. However, the STS kit did not recieve teh same treatment which put the STS kit out of its effeciency range.

I am expecting to see some very nice numbers out of Spoolins kit once the truck is running.

didnt CurtD build that kit himself??? his kit is fawking badass, here's his build thread on pt.net: http://www.performan...ad.php?t=472672 ...

-Rob

Yes Rob, Spoolin's kit was made by CurD for himself its between Curt and spoolin how spooling got it out of him.

IIRC Spoolin's kit was pieced together and just the pipes alone where more than a complete intercooled KB kit. However, if you will notice, it is built as balaced as possible. meaning that all eight cylinders see the same amount of backpressure, and therefore do the same amount of work at all times. His Waste Gate location is ideal to vent all cylinder when it opens. The KB kits and the cheaper Trick kits have the waste gate at the rear cross over pipe. when that WG opens, only the four drivers side cylinders vent to the exhaust stream, and the passanger side continue to see the increase of backpressure from the turbo. At this point the passenger side bank is in charge of maintaining the turbo spooled up. Not only that but at that point, the passanger side bank is doing more work than the drivers. There is a big debate wheather this make any difference or not, but even Formula 1 got away from log manifold faster than they appeared. IMHO, this is also why when a back to back test was done, with comparable sized kits, an STS kit our performed the Trick kit boost-for-boost. That same trick kit was then received a turbo upgrade and boost increase, it was then that it out performed the STS. However, the STS kit did not recieve teh same treatment which put the STS kit out of its effeciency range.

I am expecting to see some very nice numbers out of Spoolins kit once the truck is running.

Yes Rob, Spoolin's kit was made by CurD for himself its between Curt and spoolin how spooling got it out of him.

i hate not having the knowledge you and other members have :closedeyes::ughdance: ...

Curt has a 408 now and is going to biuld another kit, no.?. i might have to pick Julien's mind about this...

-Rob

I have been in a turbocharged SS, Magnacharged SS and Vortech Supercharged SS and I must say the Turbo is the winner in my book. It taks a little more coin in the end but its worth it. I just finished installing a front mout turbo set up on my friends 04' 5.3L Silverado. It has a T76mm turbo with P trim .96 A/R pushing 9 PSI with TSP220 cam, 3000 stall, built trans, 4.56 gears and detroit tru track.

IMG-20110418-00031.jpg

IMG00085-20110323-1607.jpg