Oil Cooler Line Repair.

My oil cooler lines have been leaking for quite a while now. I have looked into buying new ones from the dealer or getting new ones custom made. I was leaning towards getting new ones custom made due to the factory ones not lasting long before they leaked. I just can't see myself throwing down $140 for something that is going to leak again. Plus it seems to be a very common problem for the factory lines to leak at the crimps. I have contacted a few hydraulic line shops in my area and some said they couldn't make them and others couldn't give me a straight answer and sent me somewhere else.

So I have decided to repair them myself. The factory steel lines will stay in place, but I am cutting the flexible part off right at the crimps. I went to the Jegs website and found all the parts I will need to adapt the steel lines to -8an fittings and braided line. I decided to go with the Jegs brand due to cost. I also decided to step it up to the poly braided 350 hose due to it being black and matching the fittings. So there are a few things I still could of done to keep cost lower. Here are the links to what I bought.

This is the hose that I bought. I determined that 3 feet would do the job.

Click here

I bought four adapter fittings to get the steel line to adapt to a -8an fitting.

Click here

I bought four straigh -8an hose end fittings so I can install the flexible hose.

Click here

For total I spent $100 which includes handling and it should be right at my doorstep tomorrow. In my opinion I saved money over the factory lines and have peace of mind that I won't have any leaks in the future. I will be installing these next weekend when I change my oil.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny you are doing this. I was looking into doing the same thing with the same setup as you are doing. I am curious as to how it works out. Keep us informed, and if you can take some pics i'd appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get this done?

I have my new line waiting to get done. I am going to run a T-fitting inline with the oil line to feed my turbo though.

Let me know how the tube fittings work out.

cool idea for sure . i wonder if i can get my buddy to make some fittings that go to the radiator that go to a -8 male that would be awesome , the other end goes to the cooler block iirc. that would just require a couple make fittings welded to it or a new one made with -8 male's into it , i could also get a block , drill it out and tap it for o ring thread so they could be installed but not sure there is much more room on it to allow bigger than a -4 fitting out of it.

post up some finished pics

Chase this is the fitting I am talking about. It's a gauge port adapter. Which has a 1/8" npt port. My feed line is prob alot smaller than yours.

555-100527.jpg

It would go between the hard line adapter fitting at the radiator, with the female end, and the straight female end will connect to the braided hose end. The port will be the feed line for the turbo.

I'm going to Summit Racing next week hopefully,and will be getting everything I need for this and the rest of the fuel system. I am sure i'll come home with alot of other things I don't plan on getting too though. :banghead:

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

i actually have a couple of those in my tool box in black .

that not a bad idea for the feed but there are plenty of other places to get it .

on my lsx block (pretty sure others have it too ) i got the feed from the driver side hex plug . just used a bushing .

i have also used the adaptor from vortech that gets a feed from the cooler similar to what your doing like i have below

post-4973-043627300 1303672480_thumb.png

I also thought about using the hole in the block for the feed, but I would rather have it filtered and cooled right before it goes to the turbo. I am gonna try it with this fitting, and hook my mechanical gauge to it to see how much pressure i'm getting to the turbo this way. If it's not enough i'll just remove the adapter and plumb it somewhere else. I was trying to kill 3 birsd with one stone this way. Cool the oil before the turbo, filter the oil pre turbo, and look good too. We'll see!

Sorry for the wait guys. I installed the lines a couple weeks ago, but had issues getting the pictures off of my camera. One week after installation I had a issue with a oil leak from one of the fittings. It was a hot day and I floored it and the oil pressure went around 80 and one an fitting started leaking. I tightened the fittings and have had no more issues. Overall it was a smooth installation.

This is what the factory barb looks like after cutting the crimp off.

spring2011004.jpg

By sierravmax06 at 2011-04-30

spring2011006.jpg

spring2011015.jpg

Three of the four crimps were leaking.

spring2011007.jpg

spring2011011.jpg

spring2011012.jpg

spring2011013.jpg

spring2011014.jpg

Edited by sdimedude (see edit history)

Nice job on it. The rest of my stuff should be in this week for this. Any tips on the install?

Only tips I have is that it can be hard to get the fittings on before the bends in the tubing and also to make sure you have a couple 22mm wrenches with you. I ended up using a hacksaw to cut the tubing right before the flange due to the tubing cutters not getting close enough. I then deburred the lines and blew them out with compressed air.