The Official L.E.D. How To Guide

idahoBLKss

Ive noticed in some of the pieces such as the headlight control switch that you used another form of wire to extend the leads on the bulbs! Is there a specific type of wire i should use? Also, in my driver side window switch control, the dimmer doesnt work and they are always on, even when the truck is off! What did I do to cause this?

I just use wires from the led's that I cut.

I went to work on my headlight switch, and needless to say piece number one is trashed! My ac panel no longer lights up as well as my gauge cluster! However with that aside, there was a small gold saucer looking piece that had a point on each side right in the middle! Where does this piece go? I cannot seem to figure out where the hell it fell out of!

IMG_20120201_205609-1.jpg

then i took the resistors and bent one side over and snipped almost all of it off, then took the led and cut the positive leg down to almost nothin.

IMG_20120202_113221.jpg

IMG_20120202_113226.jpg

then i soldered them together to make them like this

IMG_20120202_113251.jpg

IMG_20120202_130058.jpg

then desolder one bulb at a time and solder then new ones in.

IMG_20120202_115036.jpg

sorry i forgot to take a pic of the circuit board with my positive marks so i marked the rubber and took pics. positive is the side marked with a line

IMG_20120202_140802.jpg

IMG_20120202_140810.jpg

IMG_20120202_140814.jpg

IMG_20120202_140818.jpg

IMG_20120202_140821.jpg

IMG_20120202_140824.jpg

IMG_20120202_140831.jpg

make sure to keep the resistor close to the led otherwise it will hit when you puch the buttons. test the circuit board before putting it back together and make sure they all light up.

IMG_20120202_135416.jpg

this pic shows the difference with the blue condom over the stock bulbs.

IMG_20120202_140136-picsay.jpg

i did not put leds in the pwr button and the tune buttons just because it looks like it would have been a real big pita. so i got some transparent fabric for now until i can get some red gel film for them.

IMG_20120202_153108.jpg

then put it all back together and enjoy.

IMG_20120202_161617.jpg

IMG_20120202_161602.jpg

Any chance to see these pics? I've been working on this now for a few days trying to figure out the polarity to get all of my LED's to work. I would very much appreciate it =), thanks!

I went to work on my headlight switch, and needless to say piece number one is trashed! My ac panel no longer lights up as well as my gauge cluster! However with that aside, there was a small gold saucer looking piece that had a point on each side right in the middle! Where does this piece go? I cannot seem to figure out where the hell it fell out of!

The little gold plate goes between the spring loaded button and the headlight switch housing. If you look at the inside of the headlight switch housing below where the spring loaded button is you will see a little grooved track. Place the gold plate so the nub is in that track then install the button, hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! It does tremendously! Although I think it may have fallen out somewhere and I can't find it! Good thing you can find replacement pieces on eBay for relatively cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I just got the new headlight switch part and plugged it in, however my ac panel lights and my lights behind my gauges are still not lighting up! What's going on?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought maybe this would be useful for the instrument panel. This is the pin-out for the connector that plugs into the back of the panel. Maybe you could use it to figure out which pin on the board is ground and follow the traces from there. Might save you having to figure out which side is -/+ for the leds. I replaced my lights today with the oem incandescent bulbs. Not flashy or anything but they're soft with no hot spots. Just thought I'd share.

post-25187-0-45437000-1404719627_thumb.gif

post-25187-0-12962200-1404719645_thumb.gif

• 1 year later...

So in addition to Jons original post of how to's, here is the stock radio how to.

start by taking out the stereo, gently pulling off the power button and the tune button, removing the faceplate from the whole radio. after you have the faceplate off, flip it over and take out these four little guys.

IMG_20120202_142200-picsay.jpg

take the circuit board out how it is sitting with the face down, otherwise all your buttons will fall out and you dont want that lol. after you get the circuit board off it will look like this.

IMG_20120201_205237-1.jpg

then you want to remove the audio button, gently pull it will pop off then take the clear plastic ring off followed by the cushin.

IMG_20120201_205313.jpg

take off the rubber cover

IMG_20120201_205402-1.jpg

and the blue condoms if youd like

IMG_20120201_205609-1.jpg

Millersss, would you be able to repost this so that we can see the pictures? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to fit the leds behind the faceplate

• 4 months later...

I was pulling the headlight switch box apart and noticed a small (1/4" diameter) brass disk on the floor. Does anyone know where this came from. I didn't realize there was going to be any loose moving parts in there... post-27932-0-61690900-1453565176_thumb.jpg

It pays to read other posts... Got it!

Edited by Megabell (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

THIS IS THE 7353 IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY ... NOTICE HOW LESS BUSY THE CIRCUIT BOARD IS...

PIC_0960.jpg

PIC_0959.jpg

PIC_0958.jpg

PIC_0957.jpg

when doing this complete all of the lights b4 you plug it back in it seems like if only half of the lights done that half of the stock bulbs wont light up so dont get spooked just finish the job.

DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT ....

OK I FINALLY DID A DIGI UNIT ... BLACK MARKINGS REPRESENT POSITIVE SIDE...

PIC_1004.jpg

PIC_1005.jpg

On manual slide dual climate control circuit board 7753, does anyone have pic showing positive side. I've got one or two wrong and cant figure it out. To many hrs in this project already so please help if you can. Thanks

• 11 months later...

I swapped in white LED's this past weekend, that was that seems to have been the easy part. Now the gauges lite up blue which is not what I was after. I would prefer the white instead. The LED's I used do not appear to have any hint of blue when on. One company I spoke with said I needed to buy a new metal face from them in order to have white backlighting again since to OE gauge face has a blue tint on the back that cannot be removed. Anyone else had this issue? When I look online at all the vendors that sell these LED's dash conversion kit's I always see white as well as the blues, greens, reds, etc. How do they do it? Any help would be great.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Too bad the pictures won't load anymore..

I just completed a full LED install (minus the cluster which was previously done) a few weeks ago. Wasn't too hard at all, just very time consuming. Let me know if you're trying to tackle this and need some pointers or what to buy and how to do install and I should be able to help you.