The Official L.E.D. How To Guide

idahoBLKss

Its your bulbs frying cause they are getting to much juice. The resistors they included are probably ok but they are not ment for what we are doing, probably for a different voltage or something.if you have a smart phone I would recommend getting the app electdroid very handy and will break down what the colors mean and what the values are of each color, and its a free app.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you should use an exacto knife to cut the OEM film out, and have it to where it is just the blue gel sheet . Worked for me.

FWI, I put dark blue gel sheets in mine and I have to take them out, too dark, I can't see the displays in the daytime.

Don't use one really dark like i did.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my buddy's stock radio in red LED's, not hard at all. Just remove the screws and pop off the covers, then make sure that the cable connections from the face plate to the radio are removed before removing the face plate. Also, to make it easier to know what terminal is Positive, take voltage readings with the face plate connected and label them as you take the reading. You'll have to double check on the lenght of the LED & attached resistor cause its a tight fit in some cases.

Anyone done the radio and overhead consoleyet? How hard is it?

• 6 months later...

Ok so i went to my local radio shack and bought a few L.E.D. i had a spare passenger door control so i tried it out on that worked great. so now i want to try other interior part's. im got to the jun yard to get spare stuff so i don't mess up what Jon has already done for me. he did my l.e.d's last year. so now i have a few question.

I found some 5mm leds on ebay but the say wide angle will these work? im not finding the 180 view.

next why don't we use a resistor when i did the passenger door control's?

thanks for any help.

Ok so i went to my local radio shack and bought a few L.E.D. i had a spare passenger door control so i tried it out on that worked great. so now i want to try other interior part's. im got to the jun yard to get spare stuff so i don't mess up what Jon has already done for me. he did my l.e.d's last year. so now i have a few question.

I found some 5mm leds on ebay but the say wide angle will these work? im not finding the 180 view.

next why don't we use a resistor when i did the passenger door control's?

thanks for any help.

Because they were already LEDs to begin with and already had an inline resistor. I used 3mm flat top in the majority of my interior. A few spots on the HVAC controls I used 5mm.

yeah should be easy to find. just plug it in with the board exposed and youll see what ones you need to replace. and yeah a 3mm should be fine.

AND IT OK TO POST NOW IF YOU WANT ...LOOKS LIKE ILL HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM...

thanks idaho for putting this out there. i'm balls deep into this already and am frustraded as hell. i was out getting LED's before i saw your post and so i'm basically trying to salvage what i've done already. i went to radio shack and had no idea of what LED's to get. the ones i took out of the switches were round on top and very small and covered with a blue rubber sleeve. so instead of getting just plaine white LED's i got some blue ones. they are 20mA and are 3.2V (typical), 3.8V (max). i did not know i needed resisters and still don't know if i do or not. i figured since i was replacing what i thought was an LED that i didn't need them. maybe they are a regular buld i don't know. so i soldered two of the blue LED's on my board and tested with a 3.6 volt phone battery and they seemed to work. didn't know there was a positive and negative either. put the whole switch back together and went out and tried it and neither LED went on. so i tested them and sure enough i found out there is a positive and negative and so i assumed i put them on backwards. so i switch them around (actually only one at first) and go out and try it and it went on but immediately must have fried itself. so now i'm wondering if my 3.2 volt is way too small of an LED??? i see you or someone posted about 12V LED's. so if that's the case that would probably be my problem. can you also verify if i need the resistors? what purpose do they serve? so the LED's don't fry out like mine did? any help would be great. my steering wheel is totally apart and i was hoping to get this done today. probably isn't going to happen. thanks for your time.

you can email me at pjofallon@gmail if that is easier. thanks. again. this is on a 2003 yukonXL if you wanted to know that.

pjo'

unless your replacing a factory led you will need to put a resistor in there with the led. look at the pics in this thread and if you see a resistor with the led they you need one there.first page will have the specs on the resistors you will need.